3G iPhone announced...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

askewed

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
NJ
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/29/att_chief_confirms_3g_iphone_on_the_way.html

AT&T chief confirms 3G iPhone on the way
By Slash Lane
Nov-29-2007
08:00 AM
Apple Inc. will introduce a version of the iPhone next year that can download from the Internet at a rate much faster than the existing version, AT&T Inc. chief executive Randall Stephenson confirmed Wednesday.

The device will operate on third-generation (3G) wireless networks, Stephenson said while speaking at a meeting of the Churchill Club in Santa Clara, California.

"You'll have it next year," he said, explaining that he was unaware of how much more the new version will cost than the existing $399 model because Apple chief executive Steve Jobs "will dictate what the price of the phone is.''

A 3G iPhone has long been believed to be part of Jobs' strategy to meet his company's self-imposed goal of selling 10 million during the 2008 calendar year. However, he noted in September that battery life on current 3G devices was too poor to commission a release in the immediate future.

"We've got to see the battery lives for 3G get back up into the five-plus-hour range,'' he said at the time. "Hopefully we'll see that late next year.''

In speaking to Bloomberg, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said the prospect of a more capable iPhone may make some shoppers put off buying an iPhone this year, but said the number of shoppers who delay a purchase won't be "enough to make a difference."

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
All this is doing is confirming what Steve Jobs said at the Announcement in England. This carries a little more as to a "when" but again, with nothing concrete from Apple, it really offers nothing new.

askewed

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
NJ
All this is doing is confirming what Steve Jobs said at the Announcement in England. This carries a little more as to a "when" but again, with nothing concrete from Apple, it really offers nothing new.
I'm sorry. I'll kill myself.

csi24

Nov 22, 2007
I'm still buying an iPhone next month regardless of the 3G announcement. Engadget was saying that they would be surprised if the new one is $599 and maybe a 16gb model along with it. I'm still getting an 8gb iPhone and I'm fine with my purchase. I'll wait until the 3g or 4gb iPhone to get another one:laugh2:

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
"...late next year" puts it in a good time frame. Now, let's hope they will offer us 16/32gb models with file management! Maybe by then, my area will actually HAVE 3G!
This sounds good to me!

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
costly

The news on EIC's front page that iPhone is too expensive already doesn't gell with A. needing to release a 3G to hit a sales target.

My local O2 shop (quite a big one) is selling 3 iPhones a day, and they're doing well compared to shops in nearby towns. I make that 100 - 150 iPhones selling every day in the UK. This close to Christmas, Apple is going to be feeling more than slightly deflated by this market - and all the research is telling them that this is because of price.

Why release a higher-price niche product in this landscape? No chance.

The PAYG iPhone Nano is the way to go first. Upgrade the software, new applications etc. for current owners and contract buyers, and release a PAYG Nano to get to the mass market while maintaining product differentiation.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
The news on EIC's front page that iPhone is too expensive already doesn't gell with A. needing to release a 3G to hit a sales target.

My local O2 shop (quite a big one) is selling 3 iPhones a day, and they're doing well compared to shops in nearby towns. I make that 100 - 150 iPhones selling every day in the UK. This close to Christmas, Apple is going to be feeling more than slightly deflated by this market - and all the research is telling them that this is because of price.

Why release a higher-price niche product in this landscape? No chance.

The PAYG iPhone Nano is the way to go first. Upgrade the software, new applications etc. for current owners and contract buyers, and release a PAYG Nano to get to the mass market while maintaining product differentiation.
I don't think it will be before Christmas, but Apple need 3G and soon. Even though the UI is better, there are to many other competitors that are close enough and offer more power for their users. I know I know, WIFI, but honestly having a multimedia phone on Edge is just dumb.

Edge was makes using the internet just annoying and ruins what I think is basically the best web enabled user interfaces I have ever used.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I don't think it will be before Christmas, but Apple need 3G and soon. Even though the UI is better, there are to many other competitors that are close enough and offer more power for their users. I know I know, WIFI, but honestly having a multimedia phone on Edge is just dumb.

Edge was makes using the internet just annoying and ruins what I think is basically the best web enabled user interfaces I have ever used.
the only reason that Apple went with AT&T/Edge is the coverage area. T-Mobile cannot boast the coverage that AT&T has, and sprint and verison would lock the phone to one specific type of network under one carrier. At&t was the lesser of 2 evils(or 3). 3G is only available in limited metro areas, and while it's available to many, it's not out there for everyone. Plus the whole battery issue associated with those speeds.
That being said, i have no problems browsing on the edge network. It's plenty fast for most everything I do. My big beef would be the lack-luster java scipting and total lack of flash. Too many sites use flash for if to be skipped over, plus adobe now has a mobile versions. Why haven't we gotten that yet?

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I can't see why they make it such a big issue about battery life. Do you need more than 5 hours a day of 3G browsing on your iPhone. My old 3G phones where great, because I used them as a Laptop Modems (charges while browsing HIGH Speed on my Laptop). There was also a great feature that let me turn off 3G to save battery life.

It would be great to browse the Internet 3G for an 1 hour so a day on my iPhone while I am waiting on something or at Lunch and not spend an hour browsing one web page on EDGE (which is very slow at times).

Verizon and Sprint both have 3G Touch Screen Phones now, so Apple should not use that as an excuse. You can't say you can't sell a 3G phone because of battery life when others have been doing it for the last year with other Cell Phones (HTC for example). All I see right now, is Apple loosing potential customer to other 3G Phones.

......wanted to add this before Laptop goes dead.

Are the people that are not happy with the possible 3G iPhone Battery life also upset with the poor battery life of Laptops. You are doing good if you get 2 hours out of a laptop.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Too many sites use flash for if to be skipped over, plus adobe now has a mobile versions. Why haven't we gotten that yet?
Makes me wonder what Apples beef is with Adobe. They have it for there Safari Browser.

I'll be willing to pay for it as a 3rd Party App just to have it.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I think Apple is just taking a cautious approach with the Mobile Flash, since even though the iPhone is supposed to be running MAC OSX, and Safari is a "full browser", it's a mobile version. I expect that shortly before or after the release of the SDK, there will be a large update out that will take care of Flash, My Locations from Google Maps, and maybe one or 2 features that we all have been screaming about since the iPhone's release.

...Of course, the smart money would be on Apple releasing yet another minor update, with nothing but a few bug and security patches, instead of major improvements. I mean, it's been from start of july till now, and look at all they've done so far.... :rolleyes:

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I can't see why they make it such a big issue about battery life. Do you need more than 5 hours a day of 3G browsing on your iPhone. My old 3G phones where great, because I used them as a Laptop Modems (charges while browsing HIGH Speed on my Laptop). There was also a great feature that let me turn off 3G to save battery life.

It would be great to browse the Internet 3G for an 1 hour so a day on my iPhone while I am waiting on something or at Lunch and not spend an hour browsing one web page on EDGE (which is very slow at times).

Verizon and Sprint both have 3G Touch Screen Phones now, so Apple should not use that as an excuse. You can't say you can't sell a 3G phone because of battery life when others have been doing it for the last year with other Cell Phones (HTC for example). All I see right now, is Apple loosing potential customer to other 3G Phones.

......wanted to add this before Laptop goes dead.

Are the people that are not happy with the possible 3G iPhone Battery life also upset with the poor battery life of Laptops. You are doing good if you get 2 hours out of a laptop.
Completely agree 100%

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i'm in agreement with @meiPhones_brill... how many users out there even know what 3g is? let alone are willing to PAY for it as well as have ACCESS to it. i guarantee for every person you find that is willing to buy a $600 3G phone, i'll find 20 that are willing to buy something like a $200 iPhone nano.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
i'm in agreement with @meiPhones_brill... how many users out there even know what 3g is? let alone are willing to PAY for it as well as have ACCESS to it. i guarantee for every person you find that is willing to buy a $600 3G phone, i'll find 20 that are willing to buy something like a $200 iPhone nano.

ALot of people know what 3G is, especially anyone who is looking for a smart/media phone.

The people who would be buying something like an iPhone nano are not the same people who are looking for a full featured media phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

applecart

Bronze
Oct 13, 2007
miami, fl
is 3G capability "tied" to the iPhone hardware or is it software based?
in other words, once the 3G is released, can our pre-3G phones be upgraded?