3G iPhone release date confirmed!

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I'm really intrigued by that picture. It seems unlikely that Gizmodo would release a fake image unless they can confirm it. Why would they try and get us to believe their "confirmed" date while simultaneously releasing a photo shopped picture of a fake 3G iPhone?

Could that really be what the 3G iPhone looks like? With the wider speaker and the front facing camera?

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I'm really intrigued by that picture. It seems unlikely that Gizmodo would release a fake image unless they can confirm it. Why would they try and get us to believe their "confirmed" date while simultaneously releasing a photo shopped picture of a fake 3G iPhone?

Could that really be what the 3G iPhone looks like? With the wider speaker and the front facing camera?
I agree but nothing in that article says anything about that picture so Im a little skeptical.
I hope that is accurate. I personally love the current design and was hoping they wouldn't change much. Looks like the screen is the same size which is good.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I took the image and greatly lightened it. The item that appears at first to be a camera looks to be an indentation with two small slits in the base in my lightened image. It looks more like a microphone "hole" than a camera lens. Very curious as to what exactly it is because that sure doesn't seem like a very logical place to put a microphone unless they are adding some kind of recording/dictating software for on the fly memo taking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I Zoomed the pic and then played with lighting and contrast. I would think it would be a safe bet that it's a camera for video conference. I think that the size of it is misleading because everyone is used to looking at the camera in the back.
Here's why I think it's a camera:
1) Look at the camera in the back. Not the "glass" over it, look at the actual appature hole. It's tiny.
2) if there is a camera in the front, then it would be very smart to put it under the glass face to avoid getting earwax and sweat on it. Therefore, it doesn't need the cover over it like the one on the back.
3) look at it's location. It seems to be directly over the camera in the back. It would make sense if you were trying to pack the phone without having to run wires everywhere. One controller board with 2 cameras mounted on it, patched to the mainboard.
4) I believe that video conferencing was one of the first "breakthrough hacks" with the iPhone. I cannot remember if it was an Apple sponsored event or not, but I believe that one acticle said something about Job's being impressed.

It's very exciting to see the new developements and features of the new iPhone. By the time I am ready to part with my Version 1 phone, I'l probably be ready for verison 3 or 4. :D

And GriffinAZ, I looked at it and I think the 2 slits you are seeing is nothing more that pixelation happening due to zooming in.
Take the brightness up and the contrast down and go back to 100%. It sure looks like a camera to me.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I took the image and greatly lightened it. The item that appears at first to be a camera looks to be an indentation with two small slits in the base in my lightened image. It looks more like a microphone "hole" than a camera lens. Very curious as to what exactly it is because that sure doesn't seem like a very logical place to put a microphone unless they are adding some kind of recording/dictating software for on the fly memo taking.
You are right, it does look a little like a mic. However, I would think if there was a mic up there for something, they could put it in the corner of the speaker, since the speaker is a lot wider. I honestly cant imagine that being a mic, the mic at the bottom is close enough to pick up any sound, they wouldn't need to put another at the top. Interesting!

And GriffinAZ, I looked at it and I think the 2 slits you are seeing is nothing more that pixelation happening due to zooming in.
Take the brightness up and the contrast down and go back to 100%. It sure looks like a camera to me.
Hawk, I think youre right.

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
Hmm, if this was true I think they would have talked about the actual picture a lot more. I think it is just a quick image edit / mockup to generate some buzz for it :). Personally, I think Apple will at least announce the 3G iPhone at WWDC January 15th

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Hmm, if this was true I think they would have talked about the actual picture a lot more. I think it is just a quick image edit / mockup to generate some buzz for it :). Personally, I think Apple will at least announce the 3G iPhone at WWDC January 15th

Yeah, I hate to say it but I agree with you Zodiac. If that was in fact the 3G iPhone I would think the entire article would be based on talking about the new features and what not. But like wildonrio said, gizmodo doesn't normally post false info. I guess we will have to wait till June 9th to see!

By the way, what is January 15th? You think we will have to wait till next year for it?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I looked at it and I think the 2 slits you are seeing is nothing more that pixelation happening due to zooming in.
Your right, that could be pixelation. I am using a cheap image program and don't have many options for adjusting the image. It could still be a microphone for the new voice command feature they are adding or a front facing camera, or the image could just be fake and a conceptual design by the article poster.

I think that unless there are some serious changes in the new phone, I am going to just stick with the one I have. It works perfectly (hexed myself with that one I bet) and although 3G would be nice, it isn't worth the cost of upgrading to a new phone. I guess it all depends upon what the actual price is going to be. If $700 as rumored, no way will I upgrade. The thing better make me a cappucino on demand for that price.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Your right, that could be pixelation. I am using a cheap image program and don't have many options for adjusting the image. It could still be a microphone for the new voice command feature they are adding or a front facing camera, or the image could just be fake and a conceptual design by the article poster.

I think that unless there are some serious changes in the new phone, I am going to just stick with the one I have. It works perfectly (hexed myself with that one I bet) and although 3G would be nice, it isn't worth the cost of upgrading to a new phone. I guess it all depends upon what the actual price is going to be. If $700 as rumored, no way will I upgrade. The thing better make me a cappucino on demand for that price.
I just don't think gizmodo would allow some conceptual design on their site without stating it as such.

And I'll buy the new one if it has at least 32gb storage, GPS, and a better camera (and 3G of course, which it will).

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
And I'll buy the new one if it has at least 32gb storage, GPS, and a better camera (and 3G of course, which it will).
Im with you wild. But then again, where does it end? Ive only had this one for a year and Im already itching to pull the trigger on the new one. Am I going to do this EVERY year? If it doesn't have a better camera and 32gb, I might wait till v3. But then again, I probably wont! Im not a very patient person.

Im giving my wife my current iPhone, so I guess she can expect to get my 3G iPhone once 4G comes out! :laugh2:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
So it's essentially still word of mouth. I'm not doubting the authenticity of the claims but at the same time I'm going to remain a bit skeptical until Steve says something at WWDC.

I'm starting to get really excited.

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
I think the picture is fake since it has some sort of signature in the bottom right corner. An artist from Gizmondos website perhaps?

morrison 73

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007

Jan 08! I hope your wrong...peace

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007

Sup wildon? haven't heard from you in a while. Welcome back.:)