3G iPhone software leaked !

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Engadget got ahold of the new 3G iPhone software. Nothing really new: GPS and 3G are here. This avalanche of rumors and crappy news is getting ridiculous... Click here for more info.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I cant wait til WWDC!

Seb881- I think you and a few other EIC'ers should start a topic and cover all of WWDC as the info unfolds, cause you seem to be one of the first EIC'ers who has new info on iPhone news :)

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
The link doesn't go to the article.

Try this one:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/06/iphone-3g-iphone-firmware-leaked-tri-band-hsdpa-and-gps-are-go/

The UMTS compatibility is BIG. That explains how they can use it in Japan with their CDMA interface. I'll bet the Verizon people are gonna be drooling come Monday afternoon.
Are you saying that according to this rumor, the iPhone could run on both GSM and CDMA networks? Has there ever been a phone that could do such a thing?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
^^ Not that I have seen or heard of but if it's possible this phone's popularity is going to skyrocket.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Are you saying that according to this rumor, the iPhone could run on both GSM and CDMA networks? Has there ever been a phone that could do such a thing?
Yes I am.

Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) is one of the third-generation (3G) cell phone technologies, which is also being developed into a 4G technology. Currently, the most common form of UMTS uses W-CDMA as the underlying air interface. It is standardized by the 3GPP, and is the European answer to the ITU IMT-2000 requirements for 3G cellular radio systems.

This rumor actually explains the announcement earlier in the week about Softbank from Japan selling the iPhone this year. Softbank is a W-CDMA carrier exclusively and not a GSM carrier.

Softbank to sell (UMTS 3G?) iPhone

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Yeah I remember reading on engadget how much more advanced japans "wireless" technology is! When AT&T- back then called cingular- was just setting up 3G, japan had already had it for years! And now moving on to 4G!

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
There is a phone that can. Its the BlackBerry 8800 World Edition from Verizon Wireless. It has CDMA for in the states using Verizons network, and when you take it to other countries like Europe, for example, that uses GSM, theres a sim card slot too...or do you mean one that CDMA and GSM can both be used in one place? Or...