3G iPhone, what's in a name?

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I am excited to see the '3g iPhone section' starting on the forum but is the '3g' aspect going to be THEE most exciting aspect of the new iPhone. Surely not and slightly embarrassing as this feature has been available on so many other phones like 'forever'. Can i suggest that as the first iPhone was known as the 'Jesus phone' the this section should be titled 'iPhone 2...the 2nd coming':laugh2:

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Ha - like the Second Coming naming.

I think it's still unclear / unconfirmed (as per usual with Apple) whether we will be seeing any real 'V2' elements of the iPhone itself, or whether 3G will be the only change and the rest will remain exactly as is.

So we may well see 'just' a 3G iPhone next month, then maybe a full V2 iPhone (with modified form factor plus whatever other new features) more towards the end of the year ...

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Ha - like the Second Coming naming.

I think it's still unclear / unconfirmed (as per usual with Apple) whether we will be seeing any real 'V2' elements of the iPhone itself, or whether 3G will be the only change and the rest will remain exactly as is.

So we may well see 'just' a 3G iPhone next month, then maybe a full V2 iPhone (with modified form factor plus whatever other new features) more towards the end of the year ...
Maybe I am just too into films and film trailors, but we should try and hype it up a bit, at least more than '3g'. Just imagine if the 'Empire Strikes Back' had have been named 'Oh the empire has also got light sabers'. Until Apple tells us something lets liven it up!

Come on suggest a name for the iPhone v2 section

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
The 3G tag is what everyone has run with....

IMHO, I'm hoping for more exciting things besides 3G. If it were just a 3G upgraded iPhone, there is no great reason to upgrade. Sure, I'd like to go faster, but not if it means another 2 years on my AT&T contract + $400.

I think integrated GPS with a partner like Garmin would be amazing. However, that would require Apple strong arming AT&T who usually puts TeleNav on their smartphones at $10 a month.

-Chris

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
By the way, this section will be named accordingly once Apple makes it an official product.;)

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
yeah, iPhone 2nd gen would be more appropriate, but waiting to the official release is ok, I guess. :)

Joe

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
By the way, this section will be named accordingly once Apple makes it an official product.;)
Yeah Chris I have no probs with the 3g tag really just thought we could play with it for a while until Apple sets up its stall. You guys that manage this forum do a great job it must be a right pain in the ass to have guys and girls like me picking on every little decision you make. :oops:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm predicting a launch that will not really warrant a new Forum section. What kinds of questions should go there?

"Do you enjoy downloading pages 1.6x faster than those other guys?"

"How do I get rid of these scratches on the plastic?"

"How do you deal with 'jean bulge?' "

;)

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I'm predicting a launch that will not really warrant a new Forum section. What kinds of questions should go there?

;)
LOL ;) wouldn't it be funny

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
The 3G tag is what everyone has run with....

IMHO, I'm hoping for more exciting things besides 3G. If it were just a 3G upgraded iPhone, there is no great reason to upgrade. Sure, I'd like to go faster, but not if it means another 2 years on my AT&T contract + $400.

I think integrated GPS with a partner like Garmin would be amazing. However, that would require Apple strong arming AT&T who usually puts TeleNav on their smartphones at $10 a month.

-Chris
Couldn't agree more! I'm hoping they adopt something more cutting edge like WiMax or 4G along with an announcement of a stealth roll-out by ATT/whomever to make it more pervasive.

Oh, and I like "iPhone Black." :cool:

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Couldn't agree more! I'm hoping they adopt something more cutting edge like WiMax or 4G along with an announcement of a stealth roll-out by ATT/whomever to make it more pervasive.

Oh, and I like "iPhone Black." :cool:
iPhone black..... Cool

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL

;)
How DO you deal with Jean bulge? LMAO

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
No one knows, but I suspect it'll still cost the same. AT&T has never had 2G vs. 3G data plans, so why would they start now.

Joe
I hope what your saying becomes fact for us iPhoners. Cause yesterday YoungBinks and I were going through the possible rate plans I could afford on a minimum wage job( Im a teen), and I decided that with 450 minutes/ +unlimited data, with unlimited text would be $100 dollars with of course some tax on the side :)

If they raised the 3G prices for us/me I would have to start eliminating and downgrading things from my plan:(