3G iPhone will no longer sync with iTunes

dps1225

Oct 23, 2008
For some reason, when I connect my iPhone to my PC, it no longer shows up in iTune devices.

I've reinstalled iTunes and still no luck. Any ideas?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Did you try moving your usb wire to a different USB port? I also had a problem similar to what you had and it was caused by a new usb printer that I had attached to the same computer. I unattached the printer and then the phone showed up and stayed visible after I hooked the printer back up. It has worked ever since. Weird non-reoccuring problem. Sorry I am not more help.

dps1225

Oct 23, 2008
Thanks, but yes, I've tried different USB ports...no luck.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Try a hard reset first and if that doesn't do it, may be time to do a restore.

He can't do a restore if it's not detecting his iPhone though. I had this problem occasionally recently. My phone would not restore and kept getting kicked off and then it wouldn't recognize it. It would'nt sync either, it would have an error in the middle of it.
I restored my Computer today and re-installed all my software and it seems to be working so far. I hope it keeps it up.
I think it was a software conflict or something. You might try to restore your computer/wipe your hard drive and start from scratch. It takes a few hours, but if my phone works with my computer now, it's worth it.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I had that exact problem one time and the only fix was to set up a new user account and for some reason the new user account worked fine. It is a pain but I have gotten used to it. If you decide to use this approach let me know and I will give you more info.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Go into your services ( if on windows) and kill the service for Apple Mobile device. ( start, settings, control panel, Administrative tools, services)
reboot the PC.
Launch iTunes and then connect your phone. Wait for it to show your phone and then try to sync.
Also, Make sure that you have the latest and greatest iTunes installed. reinstall if the above does not work.