3G iPhone with out service?

Feb 10, 2009
Guys, our company may disconnect AT&T' service on our iPhones. Will the iPhone 3g still work as an iPod touch if the sim is left in the phone. I don't want to lose all my music and videos plus photos. I assume the iPhone is an iPod touch
with the phone module added. Our company is going to Nokia e-71's to save money. Yuk!

Thanks, Ernie

silver-ek

Feb 1, 2009
Guys, our company may disconnect AT&T' service on our iPhones. Will the iPhone 3g still work as an iPod touch if the sim is left in the phone. I don't want to lose all my music and videos plus photos. I assume the iPhone is an iPod touch
with the phone module added. Our company is going to Nokia e-71's to save money. Yuk!

Thanks, Ernie
u can still use it even with the Sim card out! I locked myself out of my phone with the new software update now i cant use it on t-mobile, but i still use it to play games listen to music ect... so yes u can use it but the internet will only work when u have a wifi connection

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
If your company is anything like mine, they may offer to let you transfer it from a corporate phone to personal.
Either way, you win... unless they collect them.

macmag

Mar 7, 2009
I was informed that you cannot use the wifi networking feature without an active SIM card AND paying the extra monthly charge for ATT's iPhone service ... in other words it will work as an ipod, but will not have the internet access etc via wifi that an iPod touch has.

If you find any way around this let me know

macmag

Mar 7, 2009
I was informed that you cannot use the wifi networking feature without an active SIM card AND paying the extra monthly charge for ATT's iPhone service ... in other words it will work as an ipod, but will not have the internet access etc via wifi that an iPod touch has.

If you find a way to use wifi, let me know

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I find that hard to believe. There is no reason that wifi would not work without a sim card.

silver-ek

Feb 1, 2009
i use my iPhone with wifi as long as there is a wireless connection u can pick up u can still use the iPhone as an internet browser.. and u can play online games as well!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Here is the way to test:
Put the phone in airplane mode and eject the sim. Turn on wifi and see if you can connect. Turn off airplane mode and see if you can still use wifi. I bet you can.

bgeorgis

Mar 11, 2009
Question,
when u buy the iPhone 3 g from AT&T you HAVE to get the $30 media plan...but what if after a month, you call and say that you lost your phone and just had a normal back up phone, and you don't need the media anymore. so they cancell it. But you still use the iPhone. Will it still work? to make just phone calls and texts?
basically I just want to use the wifi as internet whenever available..i don't need the $30 media.
thank you

rojocrandall

Bronze
Mar 2, 2009
I have an iPhone (snagged from a family member - hey it's no good, I'll take it) with a cracked screen (yet fully functional) I use for testing. It has no sim, no data plan, no carrier affiliation. But it works fine to access the internet for free via wifi.