3G? Maybe its already in the phone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Hey guys i was just looking at my sim card and it says "3G" on the back of it...what could this mean?

Nope. It's not there. The guys that took the phone apart as soon as it was released have put that myth to bed. All of Cingular/At&t's sim cards say 3G on them now and they put them in all their phones even if they are only capable of GPRS speeds.

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
3G is NOT on the iPhone and has been confirmed. The sim card does say 3G Yes because many AT&T phones are now 3G and I guess they didn't have time to make "Special" iPhone Sim Cards?

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Could you please post your source or link that actually confirms this and is not a rumor that 3g is not on the phone (that can be upgraded with a firmware update)

Thanks

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
theres nothing that confirms otherwise.... why would you assume a 3g chipset is installed in the phone when Apple has already announced in first quarter 2008 a 3g ver 2.0 of the iPhone will release.

btw the sim card is a normal att 64k simcard , i activate them in edge phones multiple times a day , there is nothing special about it. only thing that makes it work in iPhones when others don't is the encoding AT&T puts on it during the sim acto process.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I am not going into this, since I already have a post for it. I was looking for the source that confirms there findings of no 3G ungradable phone, not a rumor.

FYI there is as of now two 3G capable chips in the phone.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Dated January 2007 and no info on internal chips.

Here is something a little newer

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=165480

I am looking for info from people that have the knowledge related to the internal working of the chips and knows what is inside them and capable of. I know it's a 3G capable chip.

There are people saying they know it does not have 3G and I want to know how they know it. A source, a link, specs, but not a rumor.

If you say no, explain to me the details of it and I will research it.
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/can-someone-actually-confirm-no-3g.4585/

Last edited by a moderator:

Pulse

Jun 22, 2007
People here have no clue what they are talking about...

all of the important components in the iPhone are Apple branded and thus no one thus far has been able to identify all of the chips that are in use. It's very possible and very likely that it has 3G in it. Would Apple really make a whole different iPhone for europe?