3G micro cell to the rescue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by showguy, Jul 7, 2010.

1. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

After 4 years if frustrating dropped calls in a marginal ATT coverage area I am finally complete. I installed the ATT 3g micro cell today and man what a difference. Full bars all over the house and parts of outside. No dropped calls. People think I am on a land line. Actually I am, the way this works is your call is transfered through the internet to an ATT land line. Crystal clear even while using my bluetooth headset. I know what your thinking, why pay $150.00 to get good service you are already paying for. I work from home, everybody uses my cell phone, my living is made on good cell phone service. This thing really works. Before and after pictures are attached.

photomicro.jpg

Attached Files:

2. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

They should be giving these things out for free.

3. joeg679

joeg679 Member
    Bronze

Did you try to call CS and get one sent to you for free? I have read that people have done that and I don't see a reason why we should have to pay 150 to use our phones.

4. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

Tried that, the problem is I live in a pretty good reception area. My house is 50 years old, brick, with plaster walls and a whole lot of metal trim. You can walk 5 feet out my door and get 3-5 bars, inside a very flucuating weak signal. I tried my best but I had to cave in. At least the phone works perfect inside now. And the voice clarity on both ends is like nothing you ever heard from a common cell signal.

5. joeg679

joeg679 Member
    Bronze

Cool. I may have to get one. I have a feeling that if Verizon DOES get the iPhone, they will be giving them away to try to keep people

6. shupik69

shupik69 Member
    Silver

So the m-cell works in conjunction with your iPhone 4? I have a co-worker who brought one last week and has told me that his girls 3gs worked perfectly but his iPhone 4 is not playing well with it. If he walks into his next room, bars drop and voices are choppy. I need one bad, my trailor has a magic film that blocks ATT's waves i guess!

#6 shupik69, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
  7. Gateway88

Gateway88 New Member

Works fine with my iPhone 4. Full bars all the time.

8. Perplex

Perplex Member
    Silver

isn't there a monthly fee with those? please tell me no , and if not im sold

9. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

I have the unlimited cell plan so there is no more fees. If you don't have the unlimited plan for your cell you have to by a $20.00 a month micro cell plan.

10. joeg679

joeg679 Member
    Bronze

you can just buy the microcell for a flat 149.00 and not pay a monthly fee or you can pay 30 bucks a month and get the unlimited plan which lets you use you cell phone, within the range of the microcell, unlimited and not use your cell minutes.

11. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

They told me that the only way you don't pay the monthy fee is if you already have an unlimited data plan like I do.

12. njdevils1986

njdevils1986 Member
    Bronze

I bought one last week and I did get 5 bars but not consistantly! Voice is horrible, beyond choppy and barely audible. I returned the microcell, not worth it for me.

13. joeg679

joeg679 Member
    Bronze

I called today and they said I wouldn't pay a monthly fee unless I used the macrocell plan. Also if u get that plan, u get a 100 dollar rebate

14. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

The only thing I notice so far is an ever so slight delay in conversation. That being said the sound quality is great.

15. Gateway88

Gateway88 New Member

Nope. I got one and do not have the unlimited plan.

Just make sure before you get one the you can place it 3 feet from a window while having it plugged into your router or computer.

16. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

Mine is in my basement with no windows. They told me the only reason to put it by the window is it has a gps function that locks in your location and transmits it while making a 911 call. Besides that, no reason to be by the window. Your actual internet connection does all the real work.

17. rollinfromhell

Gold

So I got told if I have internet from ATT I could get the unlimited for free. Then I heard from someone else that I had to sign up with the internet while I was buying the microcell to get it. I asked the lady why would that be when I have everything with you guys, phone, cable, cell phones, internet, etc? She goes maybe they'll negotiate something with you, so imma try. Because my reception is 0 bars all throughout my neighborhood and theyre telling me i have around 40 towers in my area.

18. rockyproc

rockyproc New Member

There is also a $50 rebate if you sign up for att uverse but the lady also told me that I had to sign up at the same time as purchase and I already have it. I'm just going to send in the rebate and see what happens. As far as the microcell goes, I get full bars and don't drop calls that much anymore, but I do have the slight audio delay. It's a little annoying as it makes us step on each others conversation, but I guess the dropped calls were more annoying. The 3g data through the microcell seemed kinda slow the couple times I tried it, but it's not really a big deal since when I'm at home I'm using wifi. Overall worth it for me and I think I'll drop my vonage.

19. Velodog2

Velodog2 Member
    Silver

Hmmmm these are the first "first person" reviews I've heard and the first I've heard of the "delay". I was holding out hope that this was my final, ultimate, transparent, perfect solution to my home reception problems, whenever I could swallow the thought of giving another $150 to ATT. Perhaps not.

I "love" the irony of my struggle to achieve the perfect phone call from my home - something I took for granted 25 years ago :). I wonder what it was we spent our time struggling with back then. Probably trying to get a weather report, or the newpaper delivered.

20. Richard_P_Harvey

Bronze