3G micro cell to the rescue

Gateway88

Jun 24, 2010
Strange. Going from the time frame on that thread, I was right in the middle of it when I bought mine and it activated just fine. I had no problems at all. Still don't. It rebooted once and that was during the 90 minute waiting period they tell you when you first hook it up. As with everything you're going to hear from the people that are having issues and the ones that are not don't even know there is an issue. LOL

soilsample

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
South Louisiana USA
I've been to 2 AT&T stores and spent nearly an hour on the phone with AT&T customer service. Nobody knows anything about a plan that doesn't require a $20 month payment.

I'll gladly buy the device but refuse to pay monthly.
Any more info would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks!

shupik69

Silver
May 11, 2010
louisiana/Africa
It was my understanding when i first found about this unit that it uses up your plan minutes, i have 450 with roll-over. Other than that it runs off YOUR wifi, so ATT has nothing else to do with it. Which makes you wonder why you need it if you have wifi? If you get the plans they offer it just makes it free instead of the $150 up front...

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Here is my first 24 hour review:

1- Activation was a little crappy. CS claimed computer problems in the activation department. Took 90 minutes and 1 failed activation and I was on.
2- There is a very very slight audio delay. However the voice quality is fantastic using the phone, speaker or bluetooth headset.
3- The range covers my entire 1.500 sq ft house, full finished basement, and about 25 feet outside.
4- Oddly even with 6 bars data upload is slow but better than what I had with hardley any bars.
5- The handoff between micro cell and cell tower is seamless. Remember it only hands off from micro cell to cell tower not visa versa. You really need to wonder far away from the micro cell for a hand off to happen.
6- You do not need and I repeat you do not need to install it by a window. The GPS service is only to locate your home for 911 tracking. Mine is in a basement with no windows in sight, the signal is great and too my surprise the gps signal locked in anyway

Overall it is a vast improvement to the service I had. I actually know trust making calls from my home office.

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Maybe this is a stupid question, but lets say you are on the phone and driving home and get into microcell range, will that affect the call in any way?

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Maybe this is a stupid question, but lets say you are on the phone and driving home and get into microcell range, will that affect the call in any way?
No not at all. If your call orginates in a cell tower area the call will stay on the cell tower (s), it will not hand off to the micro cell. If however the call was made on the micro cell and you went out of its range it will seamlessly hand off to a cell tower. You may hear a difference in audio performance when it gets handed off the micro cell to the tower.

Jan 28, 2010
So my frustration continues - It's been two full days and dozens of power off / power on cycles and still it's not activated. The AT&T website used to manage this device suggests it's still in the middle of activation but that's not very informative. Worse the tech support number they provide requires a PIN number and the one that's listed on my "manage" page is invalid according to their automated system. A couple of more days of this and this piece of crap is going back....

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Tech support for micro cell is 800-331-0500.. option 0 for more options, than option for micro cell. I know this number works because I used it during the activation process. Good luck...

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I just keep using "Mark the spot" every night when I get home to remind ATT that their service sucks to me. I should have a whole lotta pins stuck at my location by now.

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I just keep using "Mark the spot" every night when I get home to remind ATT that their service sucks to me. I should have a whole lotta pins stuck at my location by now.
My friend has horrible service in his house so he kept doing the "mark the spot" thing. He's been doing it since last year and he got an email saying that they appreciate his feedback and they wanted to let him know that they resolved the issue in his ares. Needless to say, nothing has changed, still no service in his house.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
My friend has horrible service in his house so he kept doing the "mark the spot" thing. He's been doing it since last year and he got an email saying that they appreciate his feedback and they wanted to let him know that they resolved the issue in his ares. Needless to say, nothing has changed, still no service in his house.
Lol, I don't really expect them to do anything either, but at least I can annoy them just a little and maybe make them send an email someday. And then I will reply back ...

Skb2000

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 1, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
www.sherrylbuchler.com
I had a very interesting conversation today with the manager of one of the local AT&T stores. He says letters are going out to customers for a free micro cell. They are doing this on a local basis so if you are really having bad service issues and no towers in your vicinity, you should be talking to them. He told me to check my mail and if I don't get a letter in the next few days to come see him! Using the app "Mark The Spot" on a regular basis is going to help. Talking to a Customer Service Rep is useless. Maybe my no service days are numbered.

shupik69

Silver
May 11, 2010
louisiana/Africa
Crossing my fingers that this may be true! Can't honestly see them doing this though...if they can get $150 a piece for these things (money grubbers like Apple :)), don't see why they would give em away! I'm still getting one, one way or the other...But, hell yeah i'll take a free one!:eek:k:eek:k

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Crossing my fingers that this may be true! Can't honestly see them doing this though...if they can get $150 a piece for these things (money grubbers like Apple :)), don't see why they would give em away! I'm still getting one, one way or the other...But, hell yeah i'll take a free one!:eek:k:eek:k
Uh huh. Just picked up my free microcell this afternoon. Everyone in the store was very impressed that ATT would do this, not least of all me. As far as anyone can tell, including the store employees, they probably base eligibility on use of "mark the spot" app.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Got set up and made my first call. No noticeable problems with delay or voice quality. All good there.

It is interesting, however, that while playing around I was still able to make the call drop by pressing my dirty finger hard on the death grip spot. Yup, I dropped the call. Afterwards I experimented some more and was able to make the bars drop from 5 to 1 by pushing the magic spot. Anyway, don't misconstrue this as anything but surprise. I'm not really disappointed as I had to kinda work at it to make the problem occur. I will of course be playing some more in coming days to see the effect of proximity to the microcell and trying to get a better read on signal strength beyond the relatively useless (especially with the way the bar calculation algorithm is right now) '5 bars'.

Overall a very happy camper tho. I will be calling tomorrow I think to at long last kill my landline. I wonder if I can get them to retire my phone number - I will always think of it as mine...

Skb2000

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 1, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
www.sherrylbuchler.com
Jumping up and down! Micro Cell works! It only took 5 minutes to activate, not the 90 it says in the instructions. Downside at the moment is that it is too late to call anyone I know. I may have to take back all the lousy things I have said about AT&T... well, maybe not all of them.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
Got set up and made my first call. No noticeable problems with delay or voice quality. All good there.

It is interesting, however, that while playing around I was still able to make the call drop by pressing my dirty finger hard on the death grip spot. Yup, I dropped the call. Afterwards I experimented some more and was able to make the bars drop from 5 to 1 by pushing the magic spot. Anyway, don't misconstrue this as anything but surprise. I'm not really disappointed as I had to kinda work at it to make the problem occur. I will of course be playing some more in coming days to see the effect of proximity to the microcell and trying to get a better read on signal strength beyond the relatively useless (especially with the way the bar calculation algorithm is right now) '5 bars'.

Overall a very happy camper tho. I will be calling tomorrow I think to at long last kill my landline. I wonder if I can get them to retire my phone number - I will always think of it as mine...
It amazes me all the different stories on cost and quality in this thread.
I have had my MicroCell for approx 3 months, I got it when Las Vegas was one of the test cities before it went "public". I paid $150 and got a $100 rebate. I use the $20 per month unlimited plan as I already had a good cheap 450 min plan for three phones.
My MicroCell works perfectly. Yes, it has gone down once or twice for a brief time as AT&T was upgrading in the area. When I say it works perfectly, that's what I mean. No lag, perfect reception all through my house and it is impossible to drop even one bar with the death grip.
For anyone who is thinking about it, if you need it, it is the best thing since sliced bread !