3G micro cell to the rescue

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
Here is my first 24 hour review:

1- Activation was a little crappy. CS claimed computer problems in the activation department. Took 90 minutes and 1 failed activation and I was on.
2- There is a very very slight audio delay. However the voice quality is fantastic using the phone, speaker or bluetooth headset.
3- The range covers my entire 1.500 sq ft house, full finished basement, and about 25 feet outside.
4- Oddly even with 6 bars data upload is slow but better than what I had with hardley any bars.
5- The handoff between micro cell and cell tower is seamless. Remember it only hands off from micro cell to cell tower not visa versa. You really need to wonder far away from the micro cell for a hand off to happen.
6- You do not need and I repeat you do not need to install it by a window. The GPS service is only to locate your home for 911 tracking. Mine is in a basement with no windows in sight, the signal is great and too my surprise the gps signal locked in anyway

Overall it is a vast improvement to the service I had. I actually know trust making calls from my home office.
does your microcell show constant GPS signal or doe sit blink off and on? I have read elsewhere that a constant GPS signal is required for the cell to work. I was planning on setting up by the window to get a GPS lock and then move it into the utility room afterwards

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Well my signal in my house is horrible. I literally have to go stand in a dining room bay window to get enough signal to be able to talk clearly. AT&T's solution: Gave me a new "free", sim card. If that doesn't help, they suggest I take the iPhone 4 to Apple to have it replaced.

shupik69

Silver
May 11, 2010
louisiana/Africa
the gps is just for e911 location services, not for phone usage. but some installed it in a basement and the gps still worked!

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
does your microcell show constant GPS signal or doe sit blink off and on? I have read elsewhere that a constant GPS signal is required for the cell to work. I was planning on setting up by the window to get a GPS lock and then move it into the utility room afterwards
The GPS signal is onlu used for 911 location. It does not effect the performance of the micro cell at all. Mine is in a basement no where near a window.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
The blogs were saying when it first came out something to the effect of it needed GPS to determine it's location to ensure that it wasn't being used in a foreign country or some other restricted area. I was skeptical. But whether or not it needs GPS to work, clearly you don't have to be by a window to use GPS.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Not really sure what the deal is here but yesterday at the ATG&T store they had a promotion for the Micro Cell with a $100 rebate. So $50 in the end. BUT, when I told the rep I had an unlimited call plan on my iPhone and he said in that case it would be the entire $149...WTF? Didn't have time to ask a lot of questions so I dunno what that is all about.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Not really sure what the deal is here but yesterday at the ATG&T store they had a promotion for the Micro Cell with a $100 rebate. So $50 in the end. BUT, when I told the rep I had an unlimited call plan on my iPhone and he said in that case it would be the entire $149...WTF? Didn't have time to ask a lot of questions so I dunno what that is all about.
This is the standard deal they have been offering since the beginning. The $100 rebate is only if you sign up for unlimited microcell calling at an additional $20 per month.

shupik69

Silver
May 11, 2010
louisiana/Africa
Got mine yesterday but couldn't activate due to nationwide registration problems. Hoping they fix it soon. Of course since I brought the thing, I have had two bars on my phone! It's like it knows!

shupik69

Silver
May 11, 2010
louisiana/Africa
Update: have rebooted, reregistered, rebooted....can't get a steady gps light (I measured and it is 3 feet from window). Got an email about failed activation but can't call the #. No service! I may have to mount it on my roof!

shupik69

Silver
May 11, 2010
louisiana/Africa
Update #2: Got an email while on vacation this morning saying, "Activation Complete" from ATT. Got home and all lights are lit. Had to reboot phone twice, but got five bars!

Also, got one saying my iPhone 4 is on it's way from Houston area to deliver on the 23rd!

Great day! Great Day, indeed!

Fringe

Jun 26, 2010
I've had my 3G microcell for about 3 weeks now and it is great! Had a little trouble getting it to activate initially but has worked great since. We went from spotty reception on the first floor of our house and no service at all in the basement to 5 bars in the entire house. Had uverse installed the other day and when the installer tried to make a call from his cell phone and had no service I took out my iPhone 4 with 5 bars and he was amazed. He had not heard of or seen a microcell. Made a mistake of not getting the unlimited calling and then canceling later to get the rebate, oh well. I am located just south of St. Louis. If you live on an area with limited or no service you will not be disappointed with the 3G microcell.

shupik69

Silver
May 11, 2010
louisiana/Africa
Did you notice any lag in voice when talking to someone? I find myself walking over the other person quite a bit! Also, do you have to dial the area code to make a call?

Jul 11, 2010
Eastern NC
I've been thinking of getting one but didn't know anyone that had one so was unsure. But it will hafta wait a while, I finally talked my better half into getting her an iPhone 4. ;)

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I know I'm bringing up a dead thread, but better this than a new one, right?

Anyways... After a year of procrastinating, I finally got an m-cell. At a 50 dollar premium though, they're 200 bucks now, oh well. It's still cheaper after 4 months than if I were to get a U-verse land line. So far, so good. Made a lot of calls with no issues at all. 4-5 bars anywhere in my house (ranch style w/basement) and perfect call quality. So anyone thinking about one should get it!

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
A friend gave me their MicroCell. I registered it and after some initial install issues got it up and running. My reception declined! I was getting dropped calls right and left and "call failed" a lot when I tried to call someone. The thing is turned off!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Does anyone know if Verizon has a MicroCell equivalent? I have a colleague who could really use one.

IceCold357

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2009
Wow. I am surprised at all the good reviews for the MicroCell. I got one for free about 6 months ago and have not really been impressed with it. Most of the time there is between a 20-40 sec delay from the time I call a number and the phone actually starts ringing. I went to the AT&T forums on the mobile app and saw this was an issue with a lot of users. I have learned to get used to it now and just kinda sit there and wait. Also every time I leave work in the AM and happen to be on the phone, my call gets dropped as soon as I leave the MicroCell range. It never fails. I got the MicroCell for free after using the Mark The Spot app so I guess I can't really complain to much.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Caliphone

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
Bakersfield
I wasn't happy with mine either. Long delay to connect and still dropped calls. Sometimes we had to dial twice to connect. Luckily my coverage improved at home and I don't need it anymore.
(Not to mention the fact that I was being charged cell minutes when I was using my internet, not cell towers, to place calls.)

Oct 3, 2009
Does it work for MMS also? Or do you still have to hit a true tower for that?