3G Network is better by how much with all bars?

piyf420

Bronze
Jun 19, 2008
Is there a site I can go to on the iPhone to see what my speed is? Because
I honestly don't know how people can use the iPhone to browse the net using the cell phones internet. I tried using it in Downtown Houston with all the bars and my god it's slower than dirt. Even watching youtube video on it on the small screen I still couldn't view it without throwing up. I know youtube isn't known for great quality but this was really bad even on a small screen.

I seriously hope this 3G network is what everyone is making it out to be.

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
Is there a site I can go to on the iPhone to see what my speed is? Because
I honestly don't know how people can use the iPhone to browse the net using the cell phones internet. I tried using it in Downtown Houston with all the bars and my god it's slower than dirt. Even watching youtube video on it on the small screen I still couldn't view it without throwing up. I know youtube isn't known for great quality but this was really bad even on a small screen.

I seriously hope this 3G network is what everyone is making it out to be.
try bandwidthplace.com
Yes I do agree with you that while on EDGE, the use of internet on the iPhone can be a pain. But if you look at it from another point of view, some is better than none.
Youtube videos come in a smaller size when using edge because the more clearer the video, the more larger it is and longer it will take to download to play. Hence youtube formatted the video diffenently for mobile devices. thats why the quality on the videos suck when using edge.
EDGE is still usable for certain things, certainly not for videos...
3G should help us out a lot. make sure you have 3G service in your locale..

pushing the midnight oil....blogging all night here at work....shhhhh
getting off till 7am..this sucks balls....just venting..

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
you can also try the speed test on cnet. It doesn't require flash to run and has been pretty consistent for me.

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
you can also try dslreports.com. click on tools ( top right ), then click on speed test, there is an option for iPhone....you'll see it.