3G Prep for Sale Question

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
I upgraded by 3G to 3.0 using iTunes, the jailbroke it using redsnow.

All of my apps etc are still there.

Would it be easier to just remove my Apps, clear my email accounts and sign off of iTunes....or should I do something else?

My 3G Sim is not longer active so I want to be sure that I can at least restore to new and jailbreak.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Go to settings-general-reset-erase all settings and content. It takes about 30 min, but it will wipe the phone clean. I would guess that you will have to jailbreak again after that if that is the way you want to sell the phone.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Sort of answered my own questions...I DFU'd the update to wipe the unit....Anyone know if there is any hard in including the SIM with the sale....?

Are they free from ATT ?

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Thanks Don...I DFU'd then Redsnowed...I will leave it to the buyer to unlock since the unlock is delivered via cydia and required an active SIM....Hope they get a 3GS jailbreak soon.

Process sure has come a long way since the 2G days.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Im going to sell my 3G also and was debating on unlocking it. But I thought I could unlock it without the sim card in there? Or unlock it, then remove the sim? Is it just not worth it or what? I don't want to leave the sim in there though, it still has my wifes number on there even though its inactive, doesn't it?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I did a restore to 3.0, jailbroke and unlocked it, took sim out, and sold it on ebay for $310.00.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Same here. Unlocked it with the AT&T sim still in there, and then pulled it out, tried a t-mobile card, it worked, then sold on eBay and got $375 for my white 16gb.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I did a restore to 3.0, jailbroke and unlocked it, took sim out, and sold it on ebay for $310.00.
I used to jailbreak before the 3G but then lost the time and interest to keep up with it. But now that I want to unlock the 3G to sell it, Im starting to read up on it again and I have to admit Im lost. Back in the day there was one utility to run and that was it, now Im seeing 10 different utilities and I don't know what to use. I also thought I read you cant unlock 3.0, you have to roll back to 2.2.1 or something like that. What am I missing?

Also, I already erased everything on the phone to prep it for sale. Do I need to resync it with iTunes with a sim in there in order to get started on the unlock/jb?

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
I did not unlock because the SIM in it was already off and you need Cydia to unlock.

I did not want to put the 3GS sim in the 3G phone.

I too sold on ebay for 340....and I would suggest to all that read to start higher if you are selling a jailbroken phone.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I used to jailbreak before the 3G but then lost the time and interest to keep up with it. But now that I want to unlock the 3G to sell it, Im starting to read up on it again and I have to admit Im lost. Back in the day there was one utility to run and that was it, now Im seeing 10 different utilities and I don't know what to use. I also thought I read you cant unlock 3.0, you have to roll back to 2.2.1 or something like that. What am I missing?

Also, I already erased everything on the phone to prep it for sale. Do I need to resync it with iTunes with a sim in there in order to get started on the unlock/jb?
I used redsn0w to jailbreak. It was fast and easy. Then in Cydia, the app ultrasn0w is used to unlock. That takes about 30 seconds. Badda boom badda bing! Ready for ebay.

I didn't resync before the jailbreak. I restored and wiped everything first, then the j/b, then the unlock.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I used redsn0w to jailbreak. It was fast and easy. Then in Cydia, the app ultrasn0w is used to unlock. That takes about 30 seconds. Badda boom badda bing! Ready for ebay.

I didn't resync before the jailbreak. I restored and wiped everything first, then the j/b, then the unlock.
Honda, you are awesome. Im going to try that today. But one more question. You did leave the original SIM in there? Was that SIM active or no? Then when you ebayed it, you removed the SIM, right? I just don't want to screw up another phone on my account by messing with the SIMs. Im scared! Hold me!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Honda, you are awesome. Im going to try that today. But one more question. You did leave the original SIM in there? Was that SIM active or no? Then when you ebayed it, you removed the SIM, right? I just don't want to screw up another phone on my account by messing with the SIMs. Im scared! Hold me!
The sim was deactivated as soon as I bought my 3GS, so I had left it in while I did the j/b, but I took it out before selling it, although it couldn't be used anyway. The buyer either has one already, or he gets one from his carrier for around $25.00.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
The sim was deactivated as soon as I bought my 3GS, so I had left it in while I did the j/b, but I took it out before selling it, although it couldn't be used anyway. The buyer either has one already, or he gets one from his carrier for around $25.00.
Ok, good info. Thanks again Honda. Im about to dive in right now. Lets hope for the best.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
But you unlocked before the SIM was turned off as you cannot connect to Cydia without service.....right?

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL

Ok one more... I went over to modmyi.com which is where I used to pull down whatever files I needed for the JB. I found a post over there for JB 3.0 but none of the links pointed to anywhere with what I needed. Honda or anyone else, was the redsnow you used for Mac or PC? Can you shoot me a link?

I haven't seen one post about being able to unlock the phone. All of them say not to JB as ultrasnow isn't out yet for 3.0. Im assuming these posts are older since you guys were able to do it. Am I right?

This is what turned me off before, I would not read the forums for 2 weeks and then be completely lost as to the new JB process.

EDIT: I just found the torrent file for redsnow. Sorry for the noob questions guys.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
So I kinda got redsn0w working but not correctly. I was able to follow the instructions and get it jailbroken but there is no Installer app and the Cydia app crashes back to springboard over and over again. Im gonna try to rejb and see what happens.

Sirius389

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
New Jersey
So I kinda got redsn0w working but not correctly. I was able to follow the instructions and get it jailbroken but there is no Installer app and the Cydia app crashes back to springboard over and over again. Im gonna try to rejb and see what happens.
Pretty sure that Icy (Installer) conflicts with Cydia, so you know :)

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Pretty sure that Icy (Installer) conflicts with Cydia, so you know :)
Yeah, I read that too so I opted to not install Icy. This is weird though, I began the restore process in iTunes and when it was completed the phone was restored and still had Cydia. I was able to fire up Cydia and view contents and what not but I couldnt find Ultrasn0w. Either way I don't want it restored to that version because it still has all my wife's info on there. So I went into DFU and began the restore process again. Maybe this time Installer will be there and we will be good to go.

Thanks for the heads up though Sirius!

Sirius389

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
New Jersey
Yeah, I read that too so I opted to not install Icy. This is weird though, I began the restore process in iTunes and when it was completed the phone was restored and still had Cydia. I was able to fire up Cydia and view contents and what not but I couldnt find Ultrasn0w. Either way I don't want it restored to that version because it still has all my wife's info on there. So I went into DFU and began the restore process again. Maybe this time Installer will be there and we will be good to go.

Thanks for the heads up though Sirius!
no prob! you had the repo for ultrasn0w right?