3G question

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
Does anyone know if a 3G upgrade to the iPhone would require a new phone all together or a software update/upgrade?
I haven't read the entire specs of the iPhone radio etc, but Apple announced a new release of a 3G iPhone next year "when the 3G chipset would support no less than 5 hours of usage". If this could be done with the current phone by software, I do not think they would be creating a 3G version of the iPhone. Just my take on it.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Does anyone know if a 3G upgrade to the iPhone would require a new phone all together or a software update/upgrade?
It will require a new phone. The current chips /radios are too power consuming for what Apple wanted, plus, it doesn't look like they could even fit it in there.
Although Apple is saying Next year, it might be even as late as November, depending on technology, and customer response to the new 1.1.1 update

Jul 10, 2007
iPhone has a 3G chipset now

I haven't read the entire specs of the iPhone radio etc, but Apple announced a new release of a 3G iPhone next year "when the 3G chipset would support no less than 5 hours of usage". If this could be done with the current phone by software, I do not think they would be creating a 3G version of the iPhone. Just my take on it.
problem is the battery in the thing would fall over pretty quick

google the iPhone chipset and you'll see i'm right.

loopy

Sep 25, 2007
From what I have read it seems the iPhone doesn't have the hardware to support the 3G capabilities. Tear-aparts of the iPhone support this assumption unless something is buried very deep inside. Check out the coolest tear-apart I have seen.

Seems Mr. Jobs was more worried about battery life than fast network capabilities and you and I will have to shell out some more Apple bucks next year to get GPS and 3G...