3G retrofit?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Everyday the iPhones non-3gness gets on my tits just that much more. I think we can all agree 3g would be awesome and that when the next generation of iPhone comes out it WILL have it. My questions are how sweet would it be if they could install 3g on the first gens and also what is the likelyness of them being able to do it or wanting to do it?

Thoughts?

DiscoJoey

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Everyday the iPhones non-3gness gets on my tits just that much more. I think we can all agree 3g would be awesome and that when the next generation of iPhone comes out it WILL have it. My questions are how sweet would it be if they could install 3g on the first gens and also what is the likelyness of them being able to do it or wanting to do it?

Thoughts?
id say next to none

stewsan

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007

Thoughts?
I doubt you will ever see a mod for your unit to switch it to 3g.

I'm not sure why there is so much hype about 3g being so fast. I use it on my Blackberry when I'm in Japan and Australia every month.

I don't notice a big difference at all and I've been using it for over a year on a regular basis.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007

I'm not sure why there is so much hype about 3g being so fast. I use it on my Blackberry when I'm in Japan and Australia every month.

I don't notice a big difference at all and I've been using it for over a year on a regular basis.
that's reassuring to know I suppose. I have never had 3G so its nice to know I'm not missing out much BUT isn't 3g just a term describing the third generation of wireless communication which can mean many different things? The best way I can describe it would be through example.

Something similar to saying I have a 6th gen video game console which would be a wii, a Ps3, or an xbox 360. So your experience with 3g might be shitty because you're using the PS3 (the worst) of 3g.

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Well when I got my first 3G phone I noticed the difference, it was blazing against my old phone, loads up websites almost as fast as my PC.

stewsan

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
I'm sure you're right.After playing with several 3g phones and devices in Japan I'm sure they were all shitty devices since Japan is so far behind the USA as far as 3g and the devices they sell... If you're expecting blazing speeds blowing the socks off edge, well everyone needs a dream.

drconehead2000

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007

To use a 3g network and have the speed advantage...you need a 3g phone...blackberry does not make 3g phones yet...so if you are in Japan or Australia where they have 3g without a 3g phone....you will gain no speed benefit...hence you have never noticed a difference because there isn't one

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Actually according to Wikipedia the 8707v does (via UMTS) but the rest don't. You would still need a 3G sim card though, if you just went over and used an old sim card in a Japanese phone then you still wouldn't get 3G access. But you'd have to be either nuts or rich to use your own sim card to access the internet in Japan, I'm from UK and I recently used my 3G in Europe, only used it twice and it was very brief but it still cost me about £20.

justahsquirrel

Silver
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
Well when I got my first 3G phone I noticed the difference, it was blazing against my old phone, loads up websites almost as fast as my PC.
I think 3g is a bunch a quack.....its like useless on most mobile phones like a 3g enabled razr? why? razr does not display full web pages, only pages optimized for mobile web unless you have opera but that it would be pointless on the small screen like that. Then the other point most people miss is that, 3G is not everywhere like edge. 3G is only in select places so yall will still be complaining its not everywhere. Edge is fine, wifi is most places i am so I am happy. 3g will seem fast on a mobile phone not displaying full web pages..remember that. The iPhone on the other hand has a full browser, edge is fine. i don't need a power hog on my phone there already is a huuuuuuuge screen draining the battery..lol........
just my 2 cents....eat it.

C.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I think 3g is a bunch a quack.....its like useless on most mobile phones like a 3g enabled razr? why? razr does not display full web pages, only pages optimized for mobile web unless you have opera but that it would be pointless on the small screen like that. .
No matter how little it displays or not, it still has to download the same amount of data if it's going to a normal website. Therefore, download speed counts even for thumbnail screens.

Then the other point most people miss is that, 3G is not everywhere like edge. 3G is only in select places so yall will still be complaining its not everywhere. Edge is fine, wifi is most places i am so I am happy.
WiFi may be "everywhere" for you, but for many people it is not. Nothing wrong with having as many communication paths as possible.

Long ago, I used to surf on my phone at 9-14 Kbps. Was like watching paint dry. But I was happy just because it was possible. Now with blazing fast home broadband, I don't like going backwards :)

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
that's reassuring to know I suppose. I have never had 3G so its nice to know I'm not missing out much BUT isn't 3g just a term describing the third generation of wireless communication which can mean many different things? The best way I can describe it would be through example.

Something similar to saying I have a 6th gen video game console which would be a wii, a Ps3, or an xbox 360. So your experience with 3g might be shitty because you're using the PS3 (the worst) of 3g.
I guess I don't see how it burns your tits so much if you've never had a 3g device. I apologize if it sounds like it, but this isn't a bashing. People really have a choice, if they so desire 3g speeds then there are phones that can do it, but the display will probably be much smaller and clunkier than the iPhone. The iPhone has a better interface, but on edge slower. If you think about the expansion of wireless networks, that could be considered 4g. When I think about that, and that my city, Minneapolis is installing a city wide wireless network, now that gets me excited.

I still contend that if Apple had made the phone 3G over edge there'd have been even more people crying throughout the nation cause 3G isn't available in their area and Edge is more prevalent.

stewsan

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Blackberry does make a 3g unit as mentioned above, the 8707, which is what I use. Att has an unlimited international plan for the Blackberry which includes using the 3g system in Japan.