3G Rumor Straight From the Apple Store

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I went to the Apple Store today to buy a new case and I had a Genius show me how to pull out the SIM, and when he did it says 3G on the Apple only SIM card! I mentioned this to the Genius (A 10 year veteran of Apple btw) and he smirked and stated yeah I can't really discuss that right now. I believe we have not seen the last of the 1st gen. iPhone on 3G. :cool::cool::cool:

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Interesting...

Since you now know how to open up the sim slot, how about a nice picture of that sim card showing that 3g logo? :cool:
I would but I do not trust myself that is why I had the genius do it. I am sure there is someone on here braver than me that is willing to do it though. Post the pic here if you can...

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
just so i understand you correctly, u said u took out your sims card and it said 3G on it?
The genius at the Apple store took it out and it said 3G on it. Trust me I have over 300 posts and love my time on this community, I would not make this up!

Diviant

Jun 21, 2007
If you have an iPhone, just take it out yourself. I tried to take a picture with my iPhone but you couldn't read the 3G writing because it's small.

Bhay99

Jun 30, 2007
i think all AT&T phones have the 3G logo on it, to signify that they are capable of running 3G and have phones that do run 3G...hope i'm wrong though

Jun 30, 2007
As exciting as 3G would be, and the sim card thing is exciting, it would contradict what Jobs said about 3g components killing the battery life and making the phone too bulky.

Let's just hope he was just trying to throw us off.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
hum can u dirct me to the pic that show how to taker it out and i will?
You just use a paperclip and stick it in the hole on top of the phone. Then it slides out in a little tray and you will see the orange 3G logo on both sides.

I know for a fact that when I bought my BlackJack (which was my first 3G phone) i had to get a new SIM card that said 3G or it wouldn't work. So this leads me to believe that an update could be forthcoming.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I would but I do not trust myself that is why I had the genius do it. I am sure there is someone on here braver than me that is willing to do it though. Post the pic here if you can...
If anyone does try to remove their SIM make sure it's docked first. It won't release until you have it mounted in the dock. I found this out this morning when we replaced the pre-installed SIM with a brand new one a the AT&T store. It's definitely a 3G sim. We discussed it right there in the store too. I thought it would be 128Kb though and it's just 64Kb.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
i think all AT&T phones have the 3G logo on it, to signify that they are capable of running 3G and have phones that do run 3G...hope i'm wrong though
Wrong. I have 3 SIM cards including the one from my iPhone and only the upgraded one for my BlackJack and now this one from the iPhone say 3G on it.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
If anyone does try to remove their SIM make sure it's docked first. It won't release until you have it mounted in the dock. I found this out this morning when we replaced the pre-installed SIM with a brand new one a the AT&T store. It's definitely a 3G sim. We discussed it right there in the store too. I thought it would be 128Kb though and it's just 64Kb.
The Mac Genius pulled it out without it being docked.

hoop

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
arlington,texas
You just use a paperclip and stick it in the hole on top of the phone. Then it slides out in a little tray and you will see the orange 3G logo on both sides.

I know for a fact that when I bought my BlackJack (which was my first 3G phone) i had to get a new SIM card that said 3G or it wouldn't work. So this leads me to believe that an update could be forthcoming.
thank u sir:cool: