3G S and 3G comparison

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I find it interesting that some of the battery times are the same on both. I guess the extra capacity isn't enough to counteract the extreme battery drain for 3G talk.

Joe

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
As someone with the v1, I'm new to 3G. Will it drain my battery to just be on 3G and not talking? Should I put the phone on 2G when doing all talking and only use 3G for internet/apps when I don't have Wi-Fi?

How do you all utilize your 3G toggle?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I find it interesting that some of the battery times are the same on both. I guess the extra capacity isn't enough to counteract the extreme battery drain for 3G talk.

Joe
If you read all the crap at the bottom, they weren't straight up comparisons. Sometimes the 3GS would be connected to wifi when the 3G wasn't for the same tests.

robinhooddaffy

Bronze
Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
trnsilver.....................Where I am located, I can only get Edge service, no 3G speed. I don't know if you can switch back and forth. Edge is so slow here. All wi-fi hotspots are way faster than Edge. Edge is also "one way". Meaning that if you are on the internet connected through Edge, you cannot receive calls. That is a huge disappointment.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
As someone with the v1, I'm new to 3G. Will it drain my battery to just be on 3G and not talking? Should I put the phone on 2G when doing all talking and only use 3G for internet/apps when I don't have Wi-Fi?

How do you all utilize your 3G toggle?

Being in wifi most of the day, I plan on keeping my 3G off unless I'm driving or plan an extended surfing session outside of wifi.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
IT looks like Apple is trying to bash their own product. Look over at the 3g side

Only in black?
Only 8 gb?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
IT looks like Apple is trying to bash their own product. Look over at the 3g side

Only in black?
Only 8 gb?
That's a chart from iPhonespies not from Apple, so it isn't Apple bashing their own product. They would never do that :laugh2:

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
after hitting a few trees it is!
Not to be a nitpicker but I was 10 years old when the short this came from was made. I used the page cited below to test my senior memory. No harm or offense intended.

"Daffy Ducks Quotes, Sayings and Quotations" -
http://www.great-quotes.com/cgi-bin/viewquotes.cgi?action=search&Movie=Daffy+Duck+&+Egghead

Daffy Duck: [attempting to swing from a high ledge into the forest] Yoiks! And away!
[hits a tree after swinging three feet]
Daffy Duck: [dazed] Yoiks... and away!
[hits a tree after swinging three feet]
Daffy Duck: [concussed] Yoiks... and a-way...
[hits a tree hard after three feet]
Daffy Duck: [Camera is focused on Porky watching as Daffy continues] Yoiks and guh-way...
[sound of Daffy hitting tree]
Daffy Duck: Yoiks...
[sound of Daffy hitting tree]
Daffy Duck: ... away!
[sound of Daffy hitting tree and then the ground]

BTW -

YMMV