3G S Slight screen stutter- normal?

Jul 30, 2009
hello, my 16gb 3gs stutters a little, not always, just sometimes. lets say in facebook app, or checking emails, there are slight stutters and the panning from one screen to the next is not always 100% smooth. is this normal?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
What do you mean by 'stutters' - do you mean that the screen becomes unresponsive for a few seconds or does it flash or something?

If the screen slightly flashes etc then you need to take it into the Apple shop for a replacement. I had a problem way back with the v1 with something similar to this.. they replaced it there and then.

Jul 30, 2009
no, no pauses, just you know how the iPhone "cooly" pans from one screen to the next? well by me its not always smooth, its a bit jumpy sometimes.... is this normal?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Is it jailbroken?

As your no doubt aware that in general causes the phone to lag.

Another thing you could try is FreeMemory from the app store- it free's up memory that your phone uses every time you enter an app and so on. It's very cheap and I find it worth while on my 3G. If you don't want to spend any money then try rebooting your phone daily, it does help.

Jul 30, 2009
not jailbroken.... really just a slight stutter, is it not supposed to stutter at all?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Sometimes when doing something in the background, like checking mail or the iPod is going or you are downloading apps (or all of the above!), animations may get preempted for higher priority processing needs. Mail, for instance, checks every email account you have every time you open it, so animations may get a bit jerky while that is going on. If an app is not written well, animations can be messy, as well.

In general, it should not be a cause for concern, but if it starts to get to the point where you think it might be out of the ordinary, try these:

Reboot the phone by first holding the power button, then sliding the red power off slider, waiting until the screen turns off, then turning the phone back on.

Delete then reinstall the app in question by pressing and holding the icon, tapping the X, then getting it again via the app store (note: it will delete all saved settings for that app, like saved logins, so be aware of that)

if all else fails, sync the phone to iTunes then restore it from the latest backup.

If that still doesn't work, try restoring as a new phone. In this case, you will lose texts, phone call logs, and saved data for all apps (game saves, logins, scores, etc.), but your apps themselves will be put back on the phone after syncing following the restore.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
When I'm reading a Kindle book sometimes the page flipping does tend to hang up briefly if I'm flipping through trying to find a certain part. In fact I can make it happen every time if I flip fast enough. I would imagine this is normal. Atleast what I'm doing probably is.

On another note istat is much better that free memory.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
I would say it's a combination of the app requiring more memory and cpu power than the iPhone can offer.

I know what you're talking about, and I'd say it's normal, as it's going to happen every once in a while. Best bet is to just power off the phone and turn it back on, this way it will clear the system memory.

I'm glad I don't own my V1 anymore. I played with it a bit before I sold it, it's running 3.0, and man was that thing slow. Opening up any app the screen would stutter as it opened. It's definitely not as common or noticeable on the 3GS, but it still happens.