3G screen COMPLETELY smashed after one relatively small drop (pic included)

swrt

Jun 29, 2007
A little back story... I was there day one in line to get the original iPhone. I used it up until 2 weeks ago when a section of the screen stopped working to the touch. My original plan was to get the next variation of the iPhone but that obviously wasn't an option... So I had to jump ship and get the 3G.

My original iPhone took many hard falls over the past year.. the screen never cracked. I had the 3G for about 2 weeks now and I dropped it once from maybe 3-4 feet tops, picked it up and was extremely surprised at what had happened. It still works perfectly fine, the touch screen works as if it wasn't smashed.

hows that for luck.... what are my options on replacement? Do I have to buy a new iPhone at the full price? Will Apple just fix this for less than the cost of a brand new one? i'm pretty pissed

Last edited by a moderator:

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Sorry to hear that dude...

This is exactly why I don't like having a totally naked phone. Sometimes it's not how high or hard you drop it. If it lands wrong you're SOL.

I wonder if the weight distribution for the 3G is heavier toward the face than the v1?

In any case, I've had really bad drops with my 3G but since it's always protected I never had major problems.

swrt

Jun 29, 2007
I have a vaja case coming.... didn't get here quick enough

jrallan26

Jan 1, 2009
Go to pdaparts.com and buy a new touch screen. For instructions, go to YouTube and search for iPhone dissambley.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
3-4 foot drop? Did it land on concrete? That looks bad, it must have landed really weird.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
My wife dropped hers but had a hard case protecting it. She ended up with one long crack from left to right.

TheSuperPickle

Bronze
Dec 30, 2008
Idaho
Sorry to hear that to all who have a crack on there phones... I just got this on my 3G cause I'm so paranoid about fingerprints all over it.. :p

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Sorry about what happened to your phone, jpsimon. It's pretty odd though, my 3G once flew out of my hands from about 5 feet high when someone bumped me. It hit the floor HARD, and to my surprise, nothing happened at all. I couldn't find a scratch anywhere.

Another time, it just fell from about 4 feet high onto concrete, and thank god for my invisibleSHIELD, which took most of the damage. Now I have it in an Agent 18 case and I'm awaiting delivery of my Incase Slider case.

I think Apple will fix it for $199. I could be wrong though, but I believe that's how much it is...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ouch.

No matter how many pics likes that I see, it never gets easier.

If my case hadn't come yet, I seriously wouldn't have taken my phone out of the house. That's just wussy old me, though. :(

gutierreze

Oct 8, 2008
I just bought the touch screen with digitizer for my fiance because her phone fell out of her pocket also and the screen shattered on one of the corners. I found it here on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&item=360120932547

I plan to replace it myself... I've been doing a lot of research on it and it looks pretty easy if you're ok doing it yourself and wanna save your self a couple hundred bucks.

Good Luck!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
It is worth a shot to take it to the Apple store. There have been a few posts here of people in your exact situation. The went in, and caught a Genius that woke up on the right side of the bed, and replaced the phone for them.

I would take the approach that while you did drop it, it should be more durable than that, and hope for the best. They'll probably just tell you "tough luck"... but like i said, it's worth a shot.

ess_bee

Bronze
Dec 16, 2008
UK
on the UK eBay sites, there are companies that will fix your screen for a fee of around £100 / $150?

Have a look on eBay.com, they may have companies of there who can fix your screen for you...

BlueHeeler

Bronze
Nov 29, 2008
Don't you guys in the U.S have phone insurance?

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
A guy came into the APPLE store on 12-24 with a phone similar to that one if not worse. He threw it on the couter and the Genius asked what happened and he said "it was on the dock and when I woke up, this is how it was!" Long story short, after being told he could not given a replacement phone, he BOUGHT a replacemnt phone with no argument. $299.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm sorry to say so...hope I'm very wrong on this one, - but dude...I don't believe you! 3-4 feet's...no way! You didn't get angry and throw the iPhone into the wall/floor or something like that?

(If you're telling the truth, I 110% with you!)

Anyway - wish you the best! :)

Sorry to hear that. I have a silicone case for my iPhone. I don't think Apple will replace it for free with physical damage or accident damage. I am not sure about the insurance. If you have bought an insurance for the phone, worth checking it out.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Sorry to hear that. I have a silicone case for my iPhone. I don't think Apple will replace it for free with physical damage or accident damage. I am not sure about the insurance. If you have bought an insurance for the phone, worth checking it out.
If any glass item hits just right it can shatter with a drop of a few inches. No reason to not believe that this happened.