3G speeds DISAPPOINTING... *video proof*

mark34

Mar 11, 2008
I have been warning people too.. about 97% of the country doesn't have 3G coverage, and of those that do have coverage few get more than 2x Edge speed. There's going to be a huge number of people paying more money for the same service thinking they have 3G speeds.

It's sad... but people will flock to it like mad just because it's new.

I'm not buying a new iPhone. My v1 has everything I need at a lower price. Firmware 2.0 will resolve most of my issues. I can't wait for July 11th for my free upgrade.

For those racing out to buy the new 3G, I'm sorry.
Simply not a fair representation of the difference and availability! I travel often and live in Austin. I have 3G coverage most of the time. I don't usually travel to particularly rural areas, but nonetheless. And the difference between E and 3G on my Blackjack is huge. It is the difference between why bother and pretty quick. that is a big difference, and will be particularly so on a device with such a nice browser. As fast as WiFi? in most cases not, though I have found with my 3G card on my MacBook Air, I am often better using the card than some WiFi spots.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
for some people it IS worse than the original. $10/month over two years adds up.
Would better reception, audio quality, 3G, GPS, and corporate discounts be enough to justify it? I do not have the the original iPhone, but will get in line for 3G because of these improvements

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Would better reception, audio quality, 3G, GPS, and corporate discounts be enough to justify it? I do not have the the original iPhone, but will get in line for 3G because of these improvements
The 3G is great for new iPhone customers like me because it's an overall better, and initially cheaper, product than what Apple came out with last year.

However, for v1 users who feel that EDGE speeds are good enough, don't need GPS, and feel satisfied with their reception and audio quality... then NO it's not good enough for for an upgrade. And v1 users are already getting 2.0 for free.

I work for a fairly large national corporation and I can't get the corporate discount.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
The 3G is great for new iPhone customers like me because it's an overall better, and initially cheaper, product than what Apple came out with last year.

However, for v1 users who feel that EDGE speeds are good enough, don't need GPS, and feel satisfied with their reception and audio quality... then NO it's not good enough for for an upgrade. And v1 users are already getting 2.0 for free.

I work for a fairly large national corporation and I can't get the corporate discount.
You might want to look into that discount again. The ATT guy in the store told me flat out that it is offered with the new iPhone. No discount on the phone, but all voice and data plans apply. I had a clerk from 2 separate stores confirm and a man from ATT businesss department as well. I am receiving 24% off, making this plan cheaper than the original iPhone plan where discounts did not apply.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
You might want to look into that discount again. The ATT guy in the store told me flat out that it is offered with the new iPhone. No discount on the phone, but all voice and data plans apply. I had a clerk from 2 separate stores confirm and a man from ATT businesss department as well. I am receiving 24% off, making this plan cheaper than the original iPhone plan where discounts did not apply.
What I mean is that my corporation is not on the list for receiving discounts from AT&T in general. I checked with them already. I'm not complaining though. I'm just making a point that not everyone can rely on a corporate discount.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I have been warning people too.. about 97% of the country doesn't have 3G coverage, and of those that do have coverage few get more than 2x Edge speed. There's going to be a huge number of people paying more money for the same service thinking they have 3G speeds.
That 97% is land mass, right? Because with 275+ metropolitan areas having 3G I am pretty confident that far greater than 50% of the nation's population is covered. So most people would benefit.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Simply not a fair representation of the difference and availability! I travel often and live in Austin. I have 3G coverage most of the time. I don't usually travel to particularly rural areas, but nonetheless. And the difference between E and 3G on my Blackjack is huge. It is the difference between why bother and pretty quick. that is a big difference, and will be particularly so on a device with such a nice browser. As fast as WiFi? in most cases not, though I have found with my 3G card on my MacBook Air, I am often better using the card than some WiFi spots.
why bother and pretty quick = very well said. Thanks for sharing.:laugh2:

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Those are my reason's (except the GPS) for upgrading from V1. i'll my corp discount is 22%. So i'll still come out about the same if not cheaper than my current plan.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Let's not forget that this video only showed us time differences between the same old firmware. The new firmware is expected to kick the old one's ass regarding page rendering in safari, which in the real world is responsible for a significant portion of time wasted for loading pages. I expect many happy people actually when the new iPhone is released this week.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Let's not forget that this video only showed us time differences between the same old firmware. The new firmware is expected to kick the old one's ass regarding page rendering in safari, which in the real world is responsible for a significant portion of time wasted for loading pages. I expect many happy people actually when the new iPhone is released this week.
True as well. Gizmodo said that Safari in 2.0 knocks the current Safari out of the water, not even considering 3G.

- John

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
except iPhone 1 owners will get the new software too... so comparing the same-old software to the same-old software is not all that inaccurate...

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
except iPhone 1 owners will get the new software too... so comparing the same-old software to the same-old software is not all that inaccurate...
Why is it accurate? The poster of that video is clearly trying to show that 3G speeds are a mediocre improvement over EDGE. To say that v1 users are going to get 2.0 is completely unrelated to the subject at hand, as they will never experience the faster network.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the point the OP was trying to make is that iPhone2 won't be that much faster in relation to iPhone1... since both versions will be able to run 2.0, the software that is being used is irrelevant.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Good point, Hippo.

Although I hadn't heard about Safari efficiency improvements at all. This is exciting to me. Because, honestly... even on wifi... sometimes I feel like, "man, this page is taking forever to load!" and I know it's all because of rendering. If this is improved even slightly, simply with a software upgrade, I'm gonna be a pig in poo with my V1 2.0...