3G to 3GS GPS improvement?

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I'm going to have to eventually replace my 3g due a pretty badly cracked screen (smoothed over with 2 part epoxy for a temporary fix - otherwise it seems unaffected). My question is specifically regarding the potential gps performance between the two models.

I currently use a combination of the stock google maps app and the AT&T gps map. In my hometown of Greenville, SC the maps (especially the AT&T map) works well enough to actually use for real time navigation. We were in Columbia yesterday (with strong 3g signal) and the gps was unusable for real time. It was updating so slowly, I was missing turns in slow downtown traffic!

Will updating to the 3gs get me any better/more consistent gps performance or is it purely a function of area and cell signal quality? Or put another way, is the actual gps chip in the phone better equipped to handle real gps functionality?

Thanks!

Magicman4131

Bronze
Jul 25, 2009
California
I never had a 3G. But 3GS GPS is working fine for real time. Plus it has a compass which is easier to navigate with.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I wouldn't expect any difference between a 3G and 3GS in regards to GPS performance. As mentioned, you will get the compass functionality, but it will not increase the sensitivity of the GPS at all.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
haven't noticed any difference between my 3g and 3gs. both of them get a lock as quickly and accurately as any phone I have.

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
The compass feature... it doesn't point exactly where i'm facing. It's off.

When I first got the phone, it was right on. However, since i've loaded some different apps that use your position, it seems to be reading incorrectly.\

Any ideas?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
My GPS seems to have drastically improved since I got my 3GS. It finds my location very quickly, my 3g took ages. It makes me think I may have had a possible hardware problem with my old 3g.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
My GPS seems to have drastically improved since I got my 3GS. It finds my location very quickly, my 3g took ages. It makes me think I may have had a possible hardware problem with my old 3g.
I don't think its generally a hardware issue - although yours may have been.

I think the accuracy should be about the same (varied per device) but the speed of the 3GS over the 3G just means that the maps / GPS function works so much better.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Agreed, the maps would load quicker, but in general the GPS on my 3G seemed... crap.
However my 3GS finds me straight away and it's pretty much spot on every time.

I'd take it to Apple, but I took it apart to put a blue back cover on ;)

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Agreed, the maps would load quicker, but in general the GPS on my 3G seemed... crap.
However my 3GS finds me straight away and it's pretty much spot on every time.

I'd take it to Apple, but I took it apart to put a blue back cover on ;)
You voided a warrantee for a blue back cover?!?!?! :D

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
It looks awesome though on my 3G. Took me ages to fit. I was really careful taking it apart and putting it back together again, it took me like 5hours in total.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
haha, I admire your dedication. Warentee or nice back cover = no brainer for me. I d be scared of ripping something apart inside and having a brick (a nice looking one at that) ;)

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Thanks for the responses - even though they weren't exactly what I'd hoped to hear! Looks like that overpriced tomtom setup might be the way I eventually go...