3G toggle switch

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I am curious if you have the ability to turn off 3G, do you have the ability to use Edge and 3G on the same phone? Arizona is covered by the Edge network (most of the state to include my Brother's ranch in Prescott. 3G is centered around Phoenix and Tucson. It would be nice if when out of the city area you could switch 3G off and use Edge for Data. Anyone know if this is even electronically feasible on a single device?

Steve-O

Bronze
May 19, 2008
It will automatically switch to what the network has to offer. My previous phone went from Edge to a GPRS connection in areas that didn't provide Edge, so I'm guessing it will be the same for the iPhone and 3G.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Steve-O is correct. If for some reason 3G is not available currently in the area then the phone will automatically switch to an EDGE connection. Of course, if you have 3G turned off it will use EDGE regardless, unless you're on WiFi.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Thank you guys. That has helped me a lot in deciding whether or not to get the new phone when released. I appreciate the knowledge everyone has here on the forums and you guys are great.

00vdub

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
I know that with the 3g LG phones you could turn on and off the 3g capabilities whenever you wanted.... but at the same time they do switch between the 2 technologies when the setting is on dual mode.