3G toggle?

Kaitlyn2004

Bronze
Aug 6, 2008
Is there a 3G toggle app like there is a wifi toggle app? I normally have 3G on all the time but would like to see what improvements I could get by toggling it only when I need it (and would be nice to toggle it quickly - hence the question :))

Kaitlyn2004

Bronze
Aug 6, 2008
BossPrefs has a 3G toggle switch.
Call me lazy, but that requires going to the app, waiting for it to "initialize services", swithc it, close it. I love wifi toggle cause it flips it and returns you in one go. Nice and quick :)

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
Call me lazy, but that requires going to the app, waiting for it to "initialize services", swithc it, close it. I love wifi toggle cause it flips it and returns you in one go. Nice and quick :)
There is an official 3G toggle, bit long wonded but I have to use it all the time ion my hose as the 3G shows as working but cuts off everything phone adn doesn't connect to jack. so to toggle 3G go to Settings>>General>>Network>>Enable 3G Off/On

Kaitlyn2004

Bronze
Aug 6, 2008
There is an official 3G toggle, bit long wonded but I have to use it all the time ion my hose as the 3G shows as working but cuts off everything phone adn doesn't connect to jack. so to toggle 3G go to Settings>>General>>Network>>Enable 3G Off/On
Thanks but well aware of that. Looking for an app like WifiToggle that just quickly toggles it and returns.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I just upgraded to 3g a few days ago. I'm under the impression that 3g is used for both data and voice as well (improved voice quality). Is this right? If so, and I use BossPrefs to toggle off 3g, will it effect just data speeds or voice quality as well?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Turning off 3g using setting or Boss will reduce in-call quality, as it will make you use edge.

If you are connected to a wi-fi signal, it will nto effect data speeds, but if you don't have a wireless connection, it will drastically reduce your data speeds to. Basically you will just be using a non 3g iPhone :)

Does this help?

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Gotcha...turning off 3g effects voice quality. Thanks for the clarification.

1ricca

Sep 7, 2009
Easiest way so far to toggle 3g AND/OR wifi as quick as possible

The easiest way so far to toggle 3g AND/OR wifi as quick as possible that I've found is to install "backgrounder" with cydia (default sources), open settings (original settings app not bossprefs or sbsettings), navigate to the network section and enable backgrounding (press and hold home button). Every time you hit settings it will snap right open in the place you left it. the 3g toggle is at the top there and wifi is one click in from that same page.

Note: backgrounding apps does impose extra battery strain because they stay open all the time, however, although I have not tested it for a full day yet, I doubt the settings app uses much memory or battery running 24/7.

You only have to do this once every time you restart your iPhone. It will stay running indefinitely until you restart or disable backgrounding on the settings app

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Why don't you use SBSettings? You swipe your finger at the top of the iPhone and you get the SBSettings menu that you can add Wifi toggle, 3G toggle and much more.