3G upgrade situation

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
my good friend is currently under contract with AT&T, not with an iPhone, and has been so for about 6 months. he wants to get a new iPhone when they come out, but was informed and read that he falls under the category that isn't upgradable for the advertised iPhone 3g prices. he will have to pay $399 for a 8gb and $499 for a 16 gb. my idea and question is this. what if he contacts AT&T and tells them to put him on an iPhone plan right now, because he bought a V1 iPhone off ebay and wants the plan to go along with it? he now is an iPhone user, and thereforee would he be qualified for the current $199, and $299 iPhone 3g prices? if not does anyone know any other way around this situation? thanks in advance.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I think it might be a little too late to do that since the phone comes out in 10 days...

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
I think it might be a little too late to do that since the phone comes out in 10 days...
although im not positive...i have to agree. AT&T must have some type of counter to this kind of plan. or else EVERYONE could ask to have a data plan added 1 month in advance...and then save $200 on the phone

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
although im not positive...i have to agree. AT&T must have some type of counter to this kind of plan. or else EVERYONE could ask to have a data plan added 1 month in advance...and then save $200 on the phone
Exactly...Im thinking he couldve done this before May 27th since that was the day they picked that if you bought a new iPhone after that you could get the new one...

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
i believe in that new att memo, where it says all the stuff about the plans and the pricing and release time etc..

it says that any person that buys an iPhone prior to july 11 is eligible for an upgrade..

so i would say, YES.. thats a great idea. .have him call up, and activate an iPhone plan asap, and he should be able to upgrade on july 11..

i mean think about it.. how could they stop that? he could say he bought an iPhone, so they cant deny him iPhone service obviously

and come july 11, it will show on his account that he is a current iPhone user.. thus making him eligible

thats a great idea, OP

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
i believe in that new att memo, where it says all the stuff about the plans and the pricing and release time etc..

it says that any person that buys an iPhone prior to july 11 is eligible for an upgrade..

so i would say, YES.. thats a great idea. .have him call up, and activate an iPhone plan asap, and he should be able to upgrade on july 11..

i mean think about it.. how could they stop that? he could say he bought an iPhone, so they cant deny him iPhone service obviously

and come july 11, it will show on his account that he is a current iPhone user.. thus making him eligible

thats a great idea, OP
well they could stop it by not giving the discount to people who changed to an iPhone plan within a certain amount of time before july 11th.. for example, they could say anyone who just changed to an iPhone plan within the last month would not be eligible for the upgrade price because obviously AT&T hasn't gotten their profit from those people.

i duno, if i was AT&T thats what i would do.