3G vs Edge missed calls while surfing?

KCWarthog

Jul 13, 2007
I am wondering if the new 3G iPhone will enable a call to come through unlike Edge when your the internet without WIFI?

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
what do you mean calls not coming through? i get annoyed all the time surfing on edge when all of a sudden RING! someone just has to bother me for something.....

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
really. ive never gotten a call when surfing on edge. always missed. sometimes I'll be surfing and then just get a voicemail notification.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
3G allows for simultaneous voice and data, so missing calls when surfing will no longer be a problem. Typically, you should be able to get calls while on EDGE, but it depends what your downloading. In typical phone/smartphone days, you'd be downloading small mobile optimized sites so the actual data transmission time is small. However, on the iPhone with YouTube streaming and downloading actual web pages, the chance of missing a call is greater because you're downloading more. I hope that makes sense.

Joe

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
3G allows for simultaneous voice and data, so missing calls when surfing will no longer be a problem. Typically, you should be able to get calls while on EDGE, but it depends what your downloading. In typical phone/smartphone days, you'd be downloading small mobile optimized sites so the actual data transmission time is small. However, on the iPhone with YouTube streaming and downloading actual web pages, the chance of missing a call is greater because you're downloading more. I hope that makes sense.

Joe
We went through this a year ago. On EDGE it depends where you live. Some older cell towers didn't let incomming calls while on EDGE. In DFW I can stream video or be in to process of downloading pages and still receive calls.

On 3G you can browse and talk on the phone at the same time.

Webby

Jun 5, 2008
I don't think that we will miss any phone calls while on 3g. Can't wait for 3 g.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
really. ive never gotten a call when surfing on edge. always missed. sometimes I'll be surfing and then just get a voicemail notification.
+1

...not once have I gotten a call while a page was loading...I never knew that it wasn't getting a call or anything until I started randomly getting voicemails and people were saying they called and I didn't answer or things like that..

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
We went through this a year ago. On EDGE it depends where you live. Some older cell towers didn't let incomming calls while on EDGE. In DFW I can stream video or be in to process of downloading pages and still receive calls.

On 3G you can browse and talk on the phone at the same time.
Dude, I remember you! I haven't seen you in forever.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
This is a new one for me. I never knew this. Who cares about faster DL speed, this is the 3G feature that won me over.