3G vs Edge

Jul 11, 2007
I know 3g is faster than edge but I was wondering if anyone could give me a speed comparison?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, EDGE is typically around 130Kbps, and i've heard 3G is around 6-700 Kbps.

so that would lead you to believe it'll be 5x faster.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I tether my 3G AT&T Tilt to my laptop and get about 1500kbps speeds. So mine is about 15 times faster than EDGE. It's pretty close to ADSL speeds.

I know 3g is faster than edge but I was wondering if anyone could give me a speed comparison?

jdginky

May 28, 2008
I am wondering if the speed will be worth battery drain. I was considering upgrading to the 3G iPhone but I am now leaning to waiting until this time next year. My 8gig works fine and I am hoping that Apple will be able to increase battery life in the coming year.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky

cosmo420

Jan 26, 2008
I know this is a comparison vs. edge which sucks by the way but is better than nothing, but when I on wifi my pages load just as fast as 3g, and this is in many locations I come to find out that wifi on my phone is superfast

Aug 2, 2007
Will the new phone . . .

still work with areas not in 3g service areas (old edge)?
I live in the country. The new phone will be worthless to me unless I can still use Edge out here. It's 30 miles to a 3G area.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX

3g on my Nokia N95-4. It usually gets faster than that when it's 3.5g. The N95 browser doesn't have the processing power to actually render the sites at those speeds on the N95. If the iPhone gets those kinds of speeds its going to be pretty darn nice.

If I can tether it to my laptop, it has MMS, copy paste and all the other things we've been hoping for I will definitely sell my N95 and jump right back to the iPhone.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
still work with areas not in 3g service areas (old edge)?
I live in the country. The new phone will be worthless to me unless I can still use Edge out here. It's 30 miles to a 3G area.
The 3g iPhone will work just like most other 3g phones and fall back to EDGE when 3g is not available. HOwever if you are 30 miles to a 3g area I would just stick with the original iPhone.

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
I know that if 3G is unavailable, the connection will fall back on EDGE, but does 3G not allow calls through like EDGE doesn't?

To put it simply, when there's no wifi around and I'm running on EDGE, calls don't come in and go straight to voicemail. I've never owned a phone before that had 3G capability, is 3G the same?

Thanks.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
3G will allow calls through. On my Tilt, I can surf the net while I am talking to someone on the phone.

Modern technology hey? Who'd have thought it!

I know that if 3G is unavailable, the connection will fall back on EDGE, but does 3G not allow calls through like EDGE doesn't?

To put it simply, when there's no wifi around and I'm running on EDGE, calls don't come in and go straight to voicemail. I've never owned a phone before that had 3G capability, is 3G the same?

Thanks.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
yep 3g rocks. I can be surfing the web and talkin on speaker at the same time on my n95

muckymucky

Bronze
Aug 19, 2007
aye Bay~Bay~
yes, think of it this way, its a pretty close analogy:

EDGE = Dial up
3G = DSL

then figure out the differnce there if you've experienced what dialup was like~

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
wow....he got pretty excited over that one. :)
Nah It's because before the iPhone came out I had the HTC 8125, the best phone I have ever owned before the iPhone. If the iPhone hadnt come out I would have upgraded to the TILT but the iPhone is wicked skinnier compared to the iPhone, fast internet, iPod, and just unique in doing things right the first time:)

But I wont forget my Baby

Btw, its modded. One of the advantage of having a windows mobile phone is that theirs an immense amount of software apps out their!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
yes, think of it this way, its a pretty close analogy:

EDGE = Dial up
3G = DSL

then figure out the differnce there if you've experienced what dialup was like~
I remember my brother's 300 baud modem a long time ago...

I remember when I bought my first 2400 baud modem and thought I was King Sh!t. :)