3G? what 3G!

pemarsh

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
My first generation iPhone was literally washed in the washing machine by one of the kids so had to get a new iPhone.
I must tell you my impression of this 3g network. It is a complete joke! I seem never to be able to get on the 3g network. If i am, the signal strength is a joke. At least Edge is more reliable!

I live in the chicago suburbs.

If I bought this iPhone based on internet surfing being 3x faster, i would be quite angry too--as are so many others I have read about. It simply is not true. Heck, you cant be on the 3g network long enough to even figure it out.

Also, the battery life with this 3g is DISMAL! I could not believe how fast my battery was draining compared to my old iPhone. It was draining 3-4X as fast. Took it to Apple, they turned off 3g, and now battery life is much improved. Of course now i have no 3g! LOL. Whhoopy doo!

The rest of the phone is great. But the battery life and the reliability of this 3g is a complete JOKE!

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Well, 3G enabled on any phone is going to take away from the battery pretty drastically. On the commercials, doesn't it say the infamous words, "up to 3x faster."

pemarsh

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
all i know is what i have experienced comparing to my first gen iPhone. This 3g is a joke. You can never get on or stay on. I travel to michigan frequently...no better there.

Battery life...it even states on the iPhone turning it off saves the battery life more.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
The biggest problem with the iPhone (and I have always said this) is the network (AT&T). If it was on verizon, it'd be by far the best phone out there. The network really takes away from the experience.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
yeah, the chicago area is hit or miss with 3G coverage. I can run at 1mbps in Orland park, but then 400kbps in Tinley park just t miles down the road. its annoying as hell....

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I disagree with what you're saying, OP.

I'm constantly on 3G and I have good signal strength.

My battery life is also very good WITH 3G on a lot of the time.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
the first month of owning the 3G reception was horrible. Everysince there (with the exception of the 2nd update) i had no problems.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
3G used to be pretty crappy in the NYC area. There was a period of a few weeks in August where it wouldn't work at all, even if it showed full bars of 3G. There were also a ridiculous amount of dead spots where only Edge was available, despite being well within a 3G zone, at least according to AT&T's online maps. Since then, the 3G issue has been resolved, service has been extended all the way to the end of the twin forks on Long Island, and I rarely get anything slower than 500kbps. At least around here, they (AT&T) got their crap together.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Your battery will suffer if it's constantly looking for 3G. When I'm in a 3G area, my batter lasts at least 2x as long. When 3G is sketchy, I'm lucky for a half a day.

And that idea works with all phones. If it's looking for signal, that burns through battery like mad. My suggestion is to leave off the 3G until you want to use it, or simply have chargers in your car, at home, at your office, etc.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm constantly on 3G when I'm in an area that the AT&T website says is covered in 3G. The signal is strong and the speed is fast. I love 3G.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
No problem here. I think it's a coverage thing and not the phone.

pemarsh

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Your battery will suffer if it's constantly looking for 3G. When I'm in a 3G area, my batter lasts at least 2x as long. When 3G is sketchy, I'm lucky for a half a day.

And that idea works with all phones. If it's looking for signal, that burns through battery like mad. My suggestion is to leave off the 3G until you want to use it, or simply have chargers in your car, at home, at your office, etc.

that is what is probably going on. thanks.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Funny how they don't have a problem charging you full price for half the 3g service, eh? ;)

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i live in michigan and have no problem with 3g coverage. sucks for you

ihack

Bronze
Nov 7, 2008
Orange Park, FL
I don't even know what the edge icon looks like. I have never seen it on my phone. LOL