3G with 1st Gen SIM card

tx.cougar

Oct 17, 2007
I own a first Gen iPhone(shattered screen) and my friend is willing to sell me his two month old 3G iPhone. What can I do too make the 3G work with my first gen sim card? AT&T tells me just too take both phones to them, buy a 3g sim card and activate a 3g data plan. I really want to stay away from that more expensive plan ($15). I know it's not much but $15/month add up, it especially sux because there is no 3G in my area! Any help will be appreciated! Thanks

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I own a first Gen iPhone(shattered screen) and my friend is willing to sell me his two month old 3G iPhone. What can I do too make the 3G work with my first gen sim card? AT&T tells me just too take both phones to them, buy a 3g sim card and activate a 3g data plan. I really want to stay away from that more expensive plan ($15). I know it's not much but $15/month add up, it especially sux because there is no 3G in my area! Any help will be appreciated! Thanks
I think you need to unlock the new 3G iPhone if you don't wanna use a new SIM card!

tx.cougar

Oct 17, 2007
I'm not to familiar with unlocking. If there are several ways of unlocking, what route should I take, since I do want to keep using my old sim card?

Kanyon71

Sep 5, 2007
I bought one for my wife for Christmas to replace he original iPhone, after restoring the phone from her backups (per Apple instructions) all I did was pop the SIM out of her V1 iPhone and pop it into the new 3G and all was fine.

rmfnla

Bronze
I believe when I upgraded from my V1 to my 3G the Apple guy moved my SIM card from the old phone to the new during the activation process.

Don't see why you couldn't do the same.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
AT&T is BSing you. Use your first iPhone's SIM card in the new one.

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
AT&T is BSing you. Use your first iPhone's SIM card in the new one.
that is correct. The sim card in a 3g is the same one in the V1 and in all of their phones. Heck, my sim card out of my companies treo works just fine in a 3g iPhone.

ess_bee

Bronze
Dec 16, 2008
UK
my sim is 5 years old and works fine in my 3G