3GS and Last.fm

Mike12000

Bronze
Oct 22, 2007
Southern Illinois
Do any of you proud 3GS owners also use last.fm? I'm not referring to streaming music with the app, but scrobbling the music you've played with the iPod when you sync on your computer. If you do, how's it working? I really enjoy seeing how my last.fm profile changes over time and would really miss being able to have the substanial amount of music I listen to on my iPhone not be able to be included by scrobbling.

That should be the last potential issue I need to be reasonably comfortable with before I go to the AT&T store and order my 32 GB. I'm getting excited!

zeluiz22

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
If you're serious about music, the iPhone is the only real option. I've run the Nokia E71, the Bold, the Palm Pre. They all have features that beat the iPhone, but as a music lover, this was the only real choice.

Last.Fm works well on the iPhone. I have it scrobbling via iTunes on my mac and also scobbling via Simplify on my 3GS. It works well and I see discernable updates in my LFM music accordingly.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Scrobbling doesn't work too well on a stock 3.0 software. The jailbreak for the 3GS may come soon, but we just don't know.

Last.fm devs are currently investigating the new 3.0 sdk Apis, but it is unlikely they'll be able to add live scrobbling. Right now there's a diferent app in the app store called scrobble that replaces the iPod in function, and also scrobbles your music. There are a few problems with that, though... Voice command doesn't work, advanced iPod functions don't work, etc.

The other option is to use the last.fm app on your computer to scrobble the iPod songs when you sync with iTunes. This is not very reliable, though. I'd say about 20% of my songs actually get scrobbled this way.

So, basically, don't get your hopes up quite yet.

Mike12000

Bronze
Oct 22, 2007
Southern Illinois
I've been scrobbling tracks on my v.1 phone since 3/08. My phone isn't jailbroken, so I'll pick up the tracks later in the day when I sync my iPhone to my PC. For many months now, I've had almost 100% accuracy with picking up my tracks from my iPhone. Sometimes it takes awhile before I get the pop-up box on my computer with my list of songs to scrobble though. I'm satisfied with delayed scrobbling. iScrobbler or Simplify (through the app store) wouldn't work well for me, because I'm either playing my iPhone music at home through a Sony alarm clock with no cell signal or in my truck through my USB port with song info display on the GPS screen (and on and off cell signal). Using those apps would be pretty dicey.

The funny thing is, Acosmichippo, I have better luck scrobbling my iPhone tracks then I do tracks played directly from iTunes on my computer. The last.fm client seems to drop about 3 out of 10 songs played that way. 3.0 didn't hurt my ability to scrobble through syncing at all. When you say you have about a 20% success rate scrobbling, what iPhone/OS versions are you referring to? All of them in general?

Anyway, I was hoping to hear reports from a few folks that have been "delayed scrobbling" songs played on their 3GS by syncing with their PC or Mac. Wondering if it'll still work with the new phone or if there are a lot of issues out there. I've looked around the last.fm forums and there's not much talk about it there, save one quiet thread with three posts. I'd really hate to give up that ability with the 3GS, it's probably a dealbreaker for me at this point.

What do you all think?

Last.fm is such a great concept, but man, people have a ton of issues getting it to work for them! I've had them in the past and I don't want to go there again!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
my experience is just the opposite. scrobbling from iTunes on my mac is flawless, but getting the last.fm application to recognize tunes played on my iPhone's ipod rarely works. I have a 3GS (so it has an non-jailbroken 3.0), which is why i haven't been able to install any live scrobblers from cydia.

Mike12000

Bronze
Oct 22, 2007
Southern Illinois
my experience is just the opposite. scrobbling from iTunes on my mac is flawless, but getting the last.fm application to recognize tunes played on my iPhone's ipod rarely works. I have a 3GS (so it has an non-jailbroken 3.0), which is why i haven't been able to install any live scrobblers from cydia.
Thanks acosmichippo, that clarifies things, you'd be live scrobbling if you could jailbreak your phone. So, the 3GS isn't doing for you what I need it to do: scrobbling the iPhone through iTunes.

Who knows why we have different results on our computers? Mac instead of PC? Last.fm strikes me as being pretty unstable anyway, based on what I've experienced and what I read in their forums. But I do love it so!

I may just shelve the idea of getting a 3GS because of this, which really, really sucks!

john_T

Silver
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Scrobbling via USB? Works perfectly on my 3GS.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
For me it's not great, but will have to do. I really don't feel like jailbreaking my 3gs.

Mike12000

Bronze
Oct 22, 2007
Southern Illinois
I've always had Good luck with live scrobbling. Anyway, you may want to read this:

http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+fo...forum/103852/_/538821?fallback=1&noredirect=1
Thanks for the link. It makes me think there's at least some hope that scrobbling options might improve in the future for a non-jailbroken 3GS. I'd like a dependable option that's not dependent on a constant internet connection on the 3GS.

Scrobbling via USB? Works perfectly on my 3GS.
Thanks for letting me know. You're the first person to say that out of 4 or 5 either here or on the last.fm boards. If I could feel I've got a pretty good shot at scrobbling when I sync with iTunes on a 3GS, I'd be off to order mine at the AT&T store! It would be so sweet to be able to have my entire digital music collection on a 32GB phone and still be able to use my last.fm profile.