3GS has died! Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by Amigo1342, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Amigo1342

Amigo1342 Member
    Bronze

I have a problem with my 3gs that i have not been able to find an answer to, despite searching all over. The phone has completely died, will no longer charge or boot up. It would no longer charge depsite what i tried. When i plug it it i get nothing, absolutely nothing. Not a battery light, not an Apple logo, nothing. It started with the notorious "not a valid device" error and from there it would not charge. I thought maybe it was lint or somehow it got wet (which it didn't) so i blew it out with compressed air and cleaned the prongs off with a toothpick. Still nothing.
    I have tried changing cables, using a usb with my computer, resetting by holding the the power and home button, recovery mode, and nothing has worked. The computer wont even reconize the phone when i plug it in and it just stays black. I also tried restarting my computer with the phone still plugged in and that failed as well.
    The phone is running 3.01 still and has worked flawlessly for two years up until now. I have read that people have tried swappin batteries and usually doesn't work either. The only thing that i have in mind that it could possibly be still is the charging port itself. Just curious if ANYONE has any advice on how to fix this or if they have had the same problem.
    The main things are that i cant hard reset it and i get no lights on it what so ever. If anyone has any insight i would much appreciate it. Thanks

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Sounds like you have tried a lot of things. I'm assuming you have tried plugging it in with iTunes open also.
    You may need to take it to an Apple genius and they will run diagnostics on it and tell you what is wrong. If you have had it for that long best idea I have is upgrade and get a 4s. :)

3. Amigo1342

Amigo1342 Member
    Bronze

Yeah i have tried that as well. I was going to just fully restore it but iTunes doesn't even reconize it. Funny you say that because i actually did upgrade and and still waiting on my phone to be mailed to me, should be any day. Now im stuck with not being able to transfer my contacts because the sim cards are obviously not interchangeable. I have no recent back up in iTunes either, so looks like im screwed either way lol

4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Lost contacts does suck. However comma I bet you will back up more often now. Lost contacts isn't the end of the world. A new phone will be exciting enough you will hardly notice.

5. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

Charge port or battery.

6. Amigo1342

Amigo1342 Member
    Bronze

Next time im by the Apple store i will see if they can take a look at it. I can more than likely just order the new parts and do it myself, im sure there are some guidance videos out there. Especially cause it will be a brick as soon ctsas my 4s gets here. I just want my contacts =(

7. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Just FYI, contacts aren't stored on the sim card.

8. Amigo1342

Amigo1342 Member
    Bronze

Yeah lol i found that out the hard way when i went to the att store. They have someway of transferring them using both but the phone needs to be on.