3GS MMS and Visual Voicemail... the saga

billinaz

Bronze
Jan 27, 2008
OK, after fighting the nasty and quite useless monster that is ATT Tech Support I think I have a handle on what happened.

Enabling the MMS carrier file for some reason you loose the cellular data network tab. This is needed to change the APN from wap.cingular to acds.voicemail.

Like this:
If I change the carrier file and redirect the voicemail like this:
Settings -> General -> Network -> Cellular Data Network

Navigate down to the Visual Voicemail section and input the following (or leave blank)
APN: acds.voicemail
Username: [leave blank]
Password: [leave blank]

If I use the 4.0 carrier file then it works, but I loose my MMS camera.

If I use the other file I have I get the camera back but loose the cellular data network icon to change it so I loose VVM.

So all I need to find is where in the carrier file on the newest MMS hack is where it directs it to wap.cingular for that voicemail entry only (not the other one or you loose internet) and it should work.

Anyone able to find it?..

azsprty

Jun 10, 2009
Valley of the Sun
I don't get what the big deal is in trying to get MMS early. didn't we last here is would be early september, what is that a couple of weeks?

billinaz

Bronze
Jan 27, 2008
Ive been using MMS from the beta 3.0

So Ive been using it for several months.

Im jailbroken so I wont upgrade to 3.1 until they jailbreak that.

billinaz

Bronze
Jan 27, 2008
I got it working again!

I found a way to get the cellular data tab back:

GABERMAN707

Bronze
Aug 14, 2009
Ive been using MMS from the beta 3.0

So Ive been using it for several months.

Im jailbroken so I wont upgrade to 3.1 until they jailbreak that.
no charges right? that's what i'm paranoid about...

GABERMAN707

Bronze
Aug 14, 2009
i have 3gs with 3.0.1... all i did was update the carrier file to 5.0 and did a sim swap. worked like a charm. vvm is still there and works. cellular data network accessible and so on... i'm on unlimited family texting plan too.

duvi

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
In the future
www.twitter.com
Been using MMS since beta 2 on 3G and no extra charges as I have a messaging plan. Most iPhone users have iPhone text plan which does not cover MMS and you will be charged per MMS in or out.

billinaz

Bronze
Jan 27, 2008
No, no charges.

The first time I did it I called ATT and told them I had a developer account and needed the MMS to work. I realized later that all they did was switch my phone to the regular messaging plan from the iPhone messaging plan. Same price... but MMS worked.

On my wifes phone I did the sim swap, got online and changed the plan on the ATT website as soon as I saw it give me the opportunity to choose the regular messaging plan.

Then I got the 3GS and did the same sim swap first thing, changed it to regular messaging plan and it worked great.

The problem I had was that I jailbroke it right away and don't want to upgrade to 3.0.1. They changed the VVM address in that version so thats why I just needed to use supreme preferences to get to the cellular data tab. Changed the voice mail address... and all is back to normal.

GABERMAN707

Bronze
Aug 14, 2009
No, no charges.

The first time I did it I called ATT and told them I had a developer account and needed the MMS to work. I realized later that all they did was switch my phone to the regular messaging plan from the iPhone messaging plan. Same price... but MMS worked.

On my wifes phone I did the sim swap, got online and changed the plan on the ATT website as soon as I saw it give me the opportunity to choose the regular messaging plan.

Then I got the 3GS and did the same sim swap first thing, changed it to regular messaging plan and it worked great.

The problem I had was that I jailbroke it right away and don't want to upgrade to 3.0.1. They changed the VVM address in that version so thats why I just needed to use supreme preferences to get to the cellular data tab. Changed the voice mail address... and all is back to normal.
are you running a modified ipcc, like 5.0? that's what i use and it works great. it also gives me the cellular data network tab to adjust all that. so no charges with unlimited family texting plan?

billinaz

Bronze
Jan 27, 2008
I was but on my 3GS that tab was not there. On my wifes 3G it was.