3GS rattle

cfarag

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I'd like to bring up a topic that needs more attention; the 3GS rattle. Many of you have this issue and if you don't think you do just tap your phone on the back near the camera. Now tap at the bottom. Hear the difference?

There is a rattling sound near the camera but the bottom of the phone is solid. Note: you will NOT hear this by shaking the phone. That does not work; you need to tap it.

I went the Apple store to have mine replaced and they did, but the second one had a rattle as well.

My question is; do they all do this? The most plausible answer is the auto-focus mechanism. However it's disputed whether that's done digitally or mechanically.

I called Apple and they said to take it back for the 3rd time. Easy for them to say. I look like a neurotic moron to take a phone back 3 times for something that doesn't even effect performance. I suppose its not a big deal, but when you pay $500 for a phone you expect quality. If someone (or Apple) would just say, "that's the auto-focus and there's nothing wrong"; I'd be fine, but Apple isn't owning up.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I just tested this, and I indeed had a rattle sound when holding my ear closely to the phone. When tapping near the camera lens it rattled. I placed my finger on top of the sleep/wake button, and the rattle was gone while tapping. Check to see if the power button is causing your rattle.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
IMO if Apple's telling you to take it back theres obviously a problem with the phone. In the past 11 months I went through 6, (yes count em 6) 3G's before they finally gave up and upgraded me to a 3GS. Personally if it were me I'd keep taking the phone back till they gave me one that didn't rattle and for the record my phone doesn't rattle.

cfarag

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I just tested this, and I indeed had a rattle sound when holding my ear closely to the phone. When tapping near the camera lens it rattled. I placed my finger on top of the sleep/wake button, and the rattle was gone while tapping. Check to see if the power button is causing your rattle.
On my first one the power button was loose, but on the second one its tight and I still have the rattle.

cfarag

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
IMO if Apple's telling you to take it back theres obviously a problem with the phone. In the past 11 months I went through 6, (yes count em 6) 3G's before they finally gave up and upgraded me to a 3GS. Personally if it were me I'd keep taking the phone back till they gave me one that didn't rattle and for the record my phone doesn't rattle.
Wow, 6 phones!? I just don't have that much time.

I just want to know if the rattle is known to Apple and who else has it. I are sure you don't? You tried my test described in the first post and am answering truthfully? Not to say your lying, but sometimes people bs in forums just to get people worked up.

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I went through 4 3GS so far in 2 weeks (all brand new and not from service stock) and all of them rattle. The likely hood of receiving a non rattling unit is very slim.

The Genius at the 5th ave store is aware of the problem and told me to wait till Apple fixes the problem to return it. So that is what I am doing. Sucks having to waste an hour at the Apple store over and over for something that Apple should of corrected before releasing the phone.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I'm not sure if any of you have noticed this, but when you switch from silent mode to loud, using the switch on the left side of the iPhone, there is less of a rattle, if not any at all.

akaremo44

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Have the rattle but phone works great so I will keep it until something goes wrong