3GS restore problems - 3.0.1

Nov 17, 2008
So I was messing with Google sync and options. Short story I decided to erase all content and settings from iPhone setting menu. I was on 3.0.1 jailbroken firmware. After the erase my phone would just hang on the Apple boot sign.

I have tried to do a restore with iTunes using alt+restore. It gets to a point where it says verifying with Apple and then says "The iPhone cannot be restored. This device isn't eligible for requested build."

I have never updated to 3.1. I am on a mac. I have iTunes 9. Do I need to downgrade my iTunes?

Any help would be appreciated.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Apple have stopped signing the files to restore to 3.0 or 3.0.1 you can only downgrade if you have your ECID on file in Cydia

Nov 17, 2008
There are no work arounds? Is my only option to upgrade to 3.1? I would rather not as I would like to be eligible for further unlocks.

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
There are no work arounds? Is my only option to upgrade to 3.1? I would rather not as I would like to be eligible for further unlocks.
yes man don't.
unlock could be impossible beyond 3.1

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm betting there will be a solution by Friday.

If you absolutely need the phone this week, restore to 3.1
If you can wait, and maybe use a different mobile this week, leave it until the 3GS JB is released.

Nov 17, 2008
yes I do not depend on an unlock for service, but I would like it if I would ever want to sell it.

I have a crappy older phone I can throw my sim into for the time being. I could prob wait a week or so before upgrading to 3.1. I know as soon as I do dev-team will make its release.

Is iTunes the only way to install firmware onto the iPhone? Is there any way to modify iTunes so that it does not try and verify the restore with Apple?

It just seems surprising that their method for only allowing 3.1 is so foolproof that no one has been able to crack it yet.

Nov 17, 2008
I tried to rejailbreak it since I could get it into recovery mode. Redsnow .8 get uploads everything, gets to pineApple walking screen, gets to what it seems like is one of the last steps(redsnow on my mac has said done for awhile) it just hangs on Activating.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
yes I do not depend on an unlock for service, but I would like it if I would ever want to sell it.

I have a crappy older phone I can throw my sim into for the time being. I could prob wait a week or so before upgrading to 3.1. I know as soon as I do dev-team will make its release.

Is iTunes the only way to install firmware onto the iPhone? Is there any way to modify iTunes so that it does not try and verify the restore with Apple?

It just seems surprising that their method for only allowing 3.1 is so foolproof that no one has been able to crack it yet.
That's what Saurik did with the "make my life easier" button in Cydia. It redirects the verification to his server (or something along those lines).