3GS Speakerphone Quality

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I've noticed the sound from my speakerphone seems scratchy or overly static. Even when I turn it down low. My V1 seemed to have a little better sound from it, even turned up high. I don't use it much, but was wondering if anyone else had noticed it. TIA. Cheers !

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I have a 3g and my wife has the 3gs. The volume and quality of the speaker on hers is excellent. The volume level on mine is terrible. :cool:

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Which sofware version are you running? Also try a restart, sometimes my will sound funky and a restart will correct it.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I am running 3.0.1 and restart regularly. I should have said the sound volume isn't adequate instead of terrible. As I said my wife's 3gs has excellent volume.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Which sofware version are you running? Also try a restart, sometimes my will sound funky and a restart will correct it.
By a "restart", do you mean turn it all the way off and then back on ? (Rebooting). Thanks.

Jul 22, 2009
well, iPhone 3Gs is great, not problem. I got it from http://www.**************.com/apple-iphone-3g-s-accessories.html. This cool is a big improvement of Apple. It support 3G networks, third-party applications, and expanded e-mail. Call quality, music, video is excellent. I download some songs to listen to music throught this iPhone. The iTunes App Store is pretty amazing

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
By a "restart", do you mean turn it all the way off and then back on ? (Rebooting). Thanks.
Hold down the power and home button until the Apple logo shows and then let go. It will do a soft reboot (You won't lose any data)

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Thanks for the tip about restarting. It seems to have improved the qualilty of the speakerphone's sound greatly. Cheers !

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
I restart my 3GS on a regular basis and still think the volume of the speakers stinks compared to other phones. Not loud at all!

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
Where are the EQ presets?

I only hear sound out of one of the holes at the bottom, but have been told that is correct since one is the mike.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
EQ presets on the iPod app and yes, there is only one speaker. Go into settings>iPod>EQ

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
Thanks I will try the EQ presets in the iPod app. My volume is so soft on speaker that I have to put it up near my ear to hear very well, and I have pretty good hearing.

Thanks for the help!

fz1dave

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
nw indiana
A common complaint on the 3Gs I've found, one I used to have myself.

There's a thread around here somewhere in which the OP used a needle to poke small holes in the external speaker grille.

Following that train of thought, I used a tiny drill bit held in a pin vise. Made a huge difference. The speaker itself is far enough above the grille that you won't poke into it unless you're really careless.

Did a comparo with my wife's phone, she has the 3Gs as well, and was surprised at how much of a difference it made. She had me do the same to hers.

Just a thought...

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
EQ presets on the iPod app and yes, there is only one speaker. Go into settings>iPod>EQ

Thanks, I did set the EQ settings on the loudness setting it works better, still not as loud as my previous flip phone since the speaker is so small.

Much better, at least in a relatively quiet environment!:)

Thanks!

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
A common complaint on the 3Gs I've found, one I used to have myself.

There's a thread around here somewhere in which the OP used a needle to poke small holes in the external speaker grille.

Following that train of thought, I used a tiny drill bit held in a pin vise. Made a huge difference. The speaker itself is far enough above the grille that you won't poke into it unless you're really careless.

Did a comparo with my wife's phone, she has the 3Gs as well, and was surprised at how much of a difference it made. She had me do the same to hers.

Just a thought...
Wow! Not quite sure I am up to drilling holes in my new phone, but I am see where it would work! thanks!

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
I have the best speaker quality and volume with my 3GS/3.0. Best of all iPhones and I have owned them all.