3GS stucks in recovery loop

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by nhang_qua, Feb 18, 2012.

1. nhang_qua

nhang_qua New Member

Hi guys, I have a 3gs that I bought off an auction recently, I tried restore it with iTunes and somehow got it stuck in a recovery loop -_-. I've been trying every possible methods online but still no go. I tried fixrecovery43 and got an error: Error, no successful firmware download after 60000ms! Giving up…

Tried edit the host file by adding 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com and #74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com Still no go :(

Can't restore it with iTunes either, everytime I do that I get error 3194.

Can anyone help me? :(

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Error 3194 is due to the hosts file not being modified with Saurik's server address or the lack of an SHSH for the firmware you are trying to restore to. Which firmware version are you trying to restore to? Do you know which baseband was on this phone when you purchased it? Does it have the iPad badeband? Are you making a custom firmware with a preserved baseband? You can use 5.0.1. You just need to preserve it if it doesn't have the iPad baseband.

3. nhang_qua

nhang_qua New Member

I've no idea which baseband/firmware was one this phone, first thing I did when I got it is restore using iTunes since the phone was locked to its previous owner. I restore it with the latest firmware that iTunes download.
    I have edit the host file , not sure if that was done properly or not but I get directed to a cydia page everytime I try go to gs.apple.com

Is this how you make a custom firmware :http://www.maheshkukreja.com/how-to-preserve-baseband-create-custom-ios-5-0-1-using-redsn0w
    Tried with 5.0.1 and still got 3194 error -_-

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Do you mean locked to the carrier the previous owner had or do you mean he sold it to you with all of his personal information on it?

Keeping an iPhone unlockable requires research and preventative maintenance. It may have been unlocked when you bought it, but if the previous owner didn't tell you it was, it's very unlikely that it was. It probably doesn't have any SHSHs on file if he didn't mention that. If you tried to restore it to a stock firmware, you updated the baseband and it can't be rolled back. The GEVEY SIMs don't work on 5.x. If you want to unlock an iPhone, it's important that you ask about the baseband and SHSHs prior to buying it.

The 3194 error is because your hosts file is wrong. It's set to Cydia, not Apple. Comment out Saurik's server address and then try again. If it's locked to AT&T and you use a stock firmware, you'll need an active AT&T SIM to activate it. The alternative is a customs firmware or jailbreak tool that hacktivates.

5. nhang_qua

nhang_qua New Member

I bought it at an auction, a police & custom auction so I don't think they care what's on it. Mind you but this is the first Apple product I've ever own so would be a bit stupid at the time.

Anyway manage to successfuly restore it thanks to you :D. After failed with 5.0.1 I restore it with custom firmware 4.2.1 and that works. Had to use redsnow to jailbreak and tethered boot for now but at least I don't have to see the recovery screen anymore.

Also, can you tell me if I can update it to 5.0.1 in iTunes? Keep getting 3194 error and I don't know why.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Install TinyUmbrella and uncheck the box next to "set hosts file to Cydia on exit."

Be sure to use a custom firmware so you preserve the baseband.

7. nhang_qua

nhang_qua New Member

by custom firmware do you mean using the firmware rebuilt with redsnow? And do I have to go into pwn dfu mode to do this?

update: have updated it to 5.0.1 :B will leave the jail breaking for later. Thanks for your help Europa ^_^

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're welcome. :)

9. nhang_qua

nhang_qua New Member

Hey Europa, since I already have this thread might as well ask some question here. I have another iPhone 3g doesn't work with any sim I try to put in. When I connect it to iTunes I get an error saying "the sim card does not appear to be supported..." and it's stuck at the connect to iTunes & emergency call screen. What should I do to fix this?

I already purchase this universal sim: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/universal-activation-sim-card-for-iphone-2g-3g-3gs-4-42595

Maybe use that to get pass the emergency screen and then jail break the phone?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, there will be at least one way to unlock it. Do you know what baseband and firmware it has? If not, install f0recast to check the baseband.

#10 Europa, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  11. nhang_qua

nhang_qua New Member

don't think it's working for me apparently :\
    I get an error: "Unable to load DDL iTunesMobileDrvice.dll : The specified procedure could not be found" from .net framework as soon as I try to run forecast.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Alright. Try this. It's likely that it has 4.2.1. The baseband with 4.2.1 is not unlockable, but at least you'll get it activated and can go from there if it doesn't have a preserved baseband. Post the baseband after you get it hacktivated. Start with step # 2.

13. nhang_qua

nhang_qua New Member

lmao, now I can't seem to get into dfu mode :3. Even though the screen is black and iTunes report it detects an iPhone in recovery mode etc...

Tested it with redsnow by entering pwn dfu mode and got: Sorry that isn't supported yet on the 1st-gen device.
    :\

Edit: I manage to get the info on baseband & firmware using itools.
    It's unactivated
    Baseband: 05.15.04
    i.O.S version: 4.2.1

14. nhang_qua

nhang_qua New Member

Ok so I skip 1,2,3 and went directly to step 4 since people been saying GP won't work with phones that require activation, also explain why it won't recognize dfu mode...

Manage to jailbreak it, install ultrasnow but now when I pop my sim in it still can't find my carrier. And when I go to Carrier in Settings I get "Unable to load network list"

edit: Upgraded to ipad baseband and is working now :D.