3GS to 4S/5

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
Greetings!
Since this will be my first iPhone upgrade, I'm wondering how all my stuff on my current 3GS will transfer over to the new iPhone I get on Friday.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
You just plug the new phone into iTunes. You have the option to set it up as new or restore from a backup of your previous phone. I always set it up as new and then resync everything. Make sure that you sync your current phone so that the most recent backup is on your computer.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
All your content will sync over beautifully. Before hand you can sync your current device with iTunes. Whilst connected, right-click on your device in the left-hand column of iTunes and click on transfer purchases.

When you get your new gorgeous iPhone 4S, restore it from your current devices backup.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
All your content will sync over beautifully. Before hand you can sync your current device with iTunes. Whilst connected, right-click on your device in the left-hand column of iTunes and click on transfer purchases.

When you get your new gorgeous iPhone 4S, restore it from your current devices backup.
Pretty sure I just said that. ;) hahaha. Just kidding!

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
Does the transfer include notes and bookmarks as well?
yes. I syc regularly since I am a jailbroken tmobile user.
Made the mistake last year of not doing so and lost a lot of stuff.
I use PkgBackup, so am wondering if the same goes for Cydia.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, everything will sync across and mirror your current setup.

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
If I set up as new, will the restore from previous backup still be available?
What's the advantage of setting up as new 1st?
Thanks for being payment with my n00b questions!

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I always set up as new, but I think it's more of a mental thing, but I'm not jailbroken so it doesn't matter. I don't need to carry a jailbreak or anything over. I do it in case there is anything corrupted on the backup of the old phone, even though I know there isn't. Like I said, it's a mental thing for me.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
snowtrooper, are you going with the factory unlocked model or did you switch carriers?

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
Hey Mindi,
So long T-Mobile, hello Sprint!
I still feel T-Mobile will eventually be taken over by ATT, and offer iPhones, I just got impatient, and Sprint made it an easy decision for me.
No more edge if I'm not on Wi-Fi, 20 bucks less a month with 100 more shared minutes, no throttling on the "unlimited" data and the possibility of a Sprint exclusive iPhone 5 on Friday.
Oh, and not HAVING to J/B and unlock is a nice option.
Shure Mrs Snowtrooper will run stock from here on out, but I probably will start to miss some of my J/B'd tweaks....

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Hey Mindi,
So long T-Mobile, hello Sprint!
I still feel T-Mobile will eventually be taken over by ATT, and offer iPhones, I just got impatient, and Sprint made it an easy decision for me.
No more edge if I'm not on Wi-Fi, 20 bucks less a month with 100 more shared minutes, no throttling on the "unlimited" data and the possibility of a Sprint exclusive iPhone 5 on Friday.
Oh, and not HAVING to J/B and unlock is a nice option.
Shure Mrs Snowtrooper will run stock from here on out, but I probably will start to miss some of my J/B'd tweaks....
Cool. Yeah, unlocking is a hassle. I think you're going to love not having to worry about that anymore.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.

by the 12th we back up in the cloud

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I always set up as new, but I think it's more of a mental thing, but I'm not jailbroken so it doesn't matter. I don't need to carry a jailbreak or anything over. I do it in case there is anything corrupted on the backup of the old phone, even though I know there isn't. Like I said, it's a mental thing for me.
I know almost for a fact that somehow, something found its way into my previous backup that causes huge battery drain. I tested this with the iPhone 4 before I sold and sent it off. Restored as new and from backup with the as new battery power lasting almost 50% longer under same usage. Needless to say I will be spending some time setting up as new. Luckily I use google cal/contacts to keep those up to date.

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
Just think ATT has greased way too many palms in Washington not to eventually get what they want, even with the "posturing" by the FCC and courts....

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
There's a lot going on behind doors I'm sure but Sprint has a big interest and lots of money trying to stop it too.