3GS: Upgraded to 4.3.1 and Jailbroken. Now I have less memory available?

Punkrulz

Bronze
Sep 22, 2009
Hey guys,

Hoping someone is familiar with this situation. I've been running into an issue where since upgrading my iPhone 3GS to 4.3.1, and then jailbreaking it, it now seems to be a bit slower. I do have SBSettings installed and I always continually shut down programs as I'm not using them to free up memory. One of the biggest problems I see though is I seem to be running with about 30mb less memory.

When I was on 4.1.2 Jailbroken, with nothing running I would have approximately 150-160mb of available memory. Now with 4.3.1 jailbroken and nothing running, I sit around 110-120mb available. Are there any other apps that can show you ALL of the processes and memory utilization?

Thanks!

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
iStat is good.

Download the RemoveBG Toggle for SBSettings, this will instantly remove all application from the multitask bar.

110-120mb is about average for a jailbroken 3GS. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. If you don't like the speed decrease, restore to stock.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Are you experiencing actual lag or is it just a decrease in the free memory? The iPhone manages its memory very well and I don't bother with monitoring the amount of free memory or force quitting apps that aren't in use. I'm jailbroken on 4.3.1 as well.

Punkrulz

Bronze
Sep 22, 2009
Personally the issues that I have experienced seem to be that it's incredibly noticeable that apps will seem "stuttery" when loading. That's a technical term. Things seem to run faster for me when I have more available memory, as opposed to when I have opened several programs in sequence and SBSettings reports that I'm running with 10mb of memory. It seems things run more smoothly with nothing else running.

I don't want to downgrade and rejailbreak. I'm just commenting that I went from having 160mb available memory with nothing running, to 110 available memory with nothing running. Seems odd that something new with the update would potentially suck up an extra 50 megs.