3GS Volume - any improvement over previous generation?

kultschar

Bronze
Jul 15, 2009
Hi

I read somewhere that the volume has improved on the 3GS over previous gens however cant find or remember the source.

Can anybody vouch for this? One thing that bugged me a little on the 1st gen & 3G was the volume was nowhere near as loud as my trusty old Nokias etc and in noisy bars etc I would miss the odd call.

Would be great if somebody could confirm if it is the same or better.

I realize that older iPhones sound muffled after a while i.e. dirty speakers etc and in these cases a new iPhone is normally louder however would love to hear if 3GS is genuinely louder or not!

kultschar

Bronze
Jul 15, 2009
Thanks for that!

Im surprised more people don't whinge about the volume on iPhones, its something which has always niggled me a little as I miss calls now and then leaving my phone in another room etc or out down town!

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Louder, but with a little distortion at highest volume.

I am going to say that in 3.1b2, the volume seems to have taken an ever so slight step down. I don't get the distortion as bad with 'tri-tone' for texts.

goose6652

Jul 15, 2009
volume

yes night and day difference.you will notice a heck of increase from gen1.that is why i stopped using iPhone.

i have 3gs and am 100% happy with volume and total phone..
will keep i phone 4ever blows pre out of the water.

shoo

Aug 26, 2008
It is not a tad louder!1 it is Way louder... I can actually play music while driving and hear it loud and clear

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
My 3g was pretty loud (especially over v1), I have not noticed a huge difference in 3Gs but I do have distortion at highest volume which bugs me a bit.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
My 3g was pretty loud (especially over v1), I have not noticed a huge difference in 3Gs but I do have distortion at highest volume which bugs me a bit.
I think you will see the biggest difference from V1 to 3Gs.
Connie, back the volume 4-5 clicks and you will lessen the distortion.:eek:k:eek:k

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I think you will see the biggest difference from V1 to 3Gs.
Connie, back the volume 4-5 clicks and you will lessen the distortion.:eek:k:eek:k
Ya, that's what I ended up doing, I'm always paranoid I'm not going to hear my phone ring if its in my purse:(

RPMSTL

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
The volume on the speaker phone while driving in a vehicle with road noise could be louder. I usually have to hold the phone upside down to gain a little volume when on the highway.

Overall the volume depends on the environment at the time. If it is quiet, then all is well. With background noise, I am always trying to turn it up.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
It is louder but I have heard ringers on other phones that had more volume than the 3GS. I guess if you are in a really loud environment you could miss a call. I think my case mutes it a bit more as well. I just created my own ringtones of some fairly loud mp3's and assigned them to the callers I really don't want to miss.

akaremo44

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Mine is definitely louder.
I also have had to turn earpiece volume down on calls.