3GS won't charge on car charger

budjev

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Noblesville, IN
So i had the 2G iPhone and sold it and upgraded to the new 3GS and the car charger i have for the original will not work with my new 3GS? Gives an error saying "device can't charge with this accessory. It is a cheapo car charger from ebay, but still it should charge my new phone don't you think? It charged my 2G just fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I have the same issue with my BMW genuine iPhone charger. That message is new on the 3GS as the 3g didn't have it either.

Im guessing that as the charging ports haven't changed between the 3g and the 3gs then the voltage required to charge the 3gs is slightly different. If the precise voltage isn't applied that it wont charge to protect itself.

However, as you went from a V1 to 3GS then I would guess your old charger is a firewire charger. These pins have been removed from the 3G / 3GS so you need an adapter like this one...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS696LL/A

spy008

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
I've had a belkin ipod car charger since v1 and it has worked for 3g and also works for 3gs. Just used it yesterday in the car. The belkin unit is about $20 in the stores.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
i picked up a belkin charger at Fry's electronics for $10. It works with the 3GS just fine.

ryfone

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
Pacific NW
Not sure what brand mine is, but it is some third party car charger I got for my v1 and it works fine with the 3GS. It might be made by Griffon now that I think about it....

budjev

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Noblesville, IN
NICE! i'll have to hit up frys then.... $10 is a good price and ill have it right then, plus it just gives me a good reason to wonder around fry's for a couple hours... hahahaha

hankh

Mar 4, 2009
Won't recognize firewire

Hi, the original phone used the firewire cord to plug into the car charger and the new phone doesn't recognize the firewire cord. Need to use a car charger with usb.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
NICE! i'll have to hit up frys then.... $10 is a good price and ill have it right then, plus it just gives me a good reason to wonder around fry's for a couple hours... hahahaha
It might be $12.99, but i took it to the register and it came up $9,99.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I have this issue with my Harman Kardon Drive+Play unit. Still controls the phone just fine, but doesn't charge. Its a bummer.

I have the same issue with my BMW genuine iPhone charger. That message is new on the 3GS as the 3g didn't have it either.

Im guessing that as the charging ports haven't changed between the 3g and the 3gs then the voltage required to charge the 3gs is slightly different. If the precise voltage isn't applied that it wont charge to protect itself.

However, as you went from a V1 to 3GS then I would guess your old charger is a firewire charger. These pins have been removed from the 3G / 3GS so you need an adapter like this one...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS696LL/A

I think this will solve my problem though. Thanks!

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I have this issue with my Harman Kardon Drive+Play unit. Still controls the phone just fine, but doesn't charge. Its a bummer.

I think this will solve my problem though. Thanks!
No problem, the only bummer for me is that it isn't compatible with BMW... so i can playback music and control it fine, but it drinks the battery faster than an alcoholic sups beer!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
No problem, the only bummer for me is that it isn't compatible with BMW... so i can playback music and control it fine, but it drinks the battery faster than an alcoholic sups beer!
Well I hoping for the best then. I ordered it last night so Ill post on here when I receive it and whether or not it works. Man I hope so.