3rd Party Apps Coming to iPhone with Apple's Blessing?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mark Booth

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Could "real", installable, 3rd Party Applications be coming to iPhone with Apple's blessing? This article makes a lot of sense:

3rd Party Apps Coming To iPhone?

Time will tell!

BTW, Wall Street seems to be excited by the news. Apple is up sharply in early trading and the above article is the only news I can find that would be pushing it.

Mark

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Could "real", installable, 3rd Party Applications be coming to iPhone with Apple's blessing? This article makes a lot of sense:

Time will tell!

BTW, Wall Street seems to be excited by the news. Apple is up sharply in early trading and the above article is the only news I can find that would be pushing it.

Mark

time will tell I guess. I haven't upgraded to 1.1.1 yet for this exact reason. I love my 3rd party apps!

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
i could see this happening with games .. but i don't know what else. selling ichat or the ability to send MMS messages would just piss off users and give critics something to slam when talking about the iPhones functionality.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
i could see this happening with games .. but i don't know what else. selling ichat or the ability to send MMS messages would just piss off users and give critics something to slam when talking about the iPhones functionality.
Good points and I agree completely.

One thing I do hope that is put in place, however, is a quality standard for these applications. I don't want to wade through 40 different text editors to purchase if only one of them does it right for example.

tobey

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
This is the main reason I don't mind waiting for 3rd party applications. They will come sooner or later. The selection will be more limited as compared to what's out there now, but I'm sure if they are approved through Apple they will have plenty of tech support and it won't mess with your warranty.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Good points and I agree completely.

One thing I do hope that is put in place, however, is a quality standard for these applications. I don't want to wade through 40 different text editors to purchase if only one of them does it right for example.

I coulnd't agree more. While it has been hit and miss with the current 3rd party applications I hope Apple ensures that as consumers we're not ripped off. Then again, if they charge for MMS that would be the ultimate ripoff.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007

Time will tell!

Mark
I don't even have to read the article... I KNOW 3rd party apps will come. Search around in the "settings" of the phone and you'll see the possibility right there in front of you. In addition, Apple isn't stupid, they are just strict about their rules. We'll see more Apple apps first, then 3rd party apps from their "partners", and then an SDK with strict rules for others.