3rd party apps history?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
Now, this is a legitimate question. Doesn't everyone think that 3rd party apps are going to be history soon? Apparently, now, you can downgrade back to 1.0.2 which is good for you guys because as I said before, I really don't care either way if a phone is modded or unlocked. Whatever makes you happy!

However, someone else in this forum pointed out that Apple stressed "September 2007" update. Is this going to be a monthly thing? Bi Monthly thing? We won't know. But, what happens when truly functional updates come out from Apple and you're torn between the update and keeping your mods?

This is just a thought. I mean something big is bound to come out of one of these updates...even though a lot of you are skeptical of this statement. But, Apple has to do something to keep people from going back to BB or palm etc.

FW

Shotta876

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
If there is an update with something that appeals to me more than apptapp & my free custom ringtones, then I'll update it. Until then, forget about it. If Apple wants to persuade people to forget about the third party apps, then they're going to have to do better than a meaningless Wi-Fi iTunes store. Doesn't Apple realize that most people who are tech savvy enough to install third party apps, are also tech savvy enough to get EVERY album off the internet in perfect quality.. for free? Yeah, exactly my point. It's unnecessary to someone like me. And, that's the top "new" feature added.

I think more 1.0.2 people have taken this same approach.

(I downgraded from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 and I'm suddenly a happy customer again)

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Now, this is a legitimate question. Doesn't everyone think that 3rd party apps are going to be history soon? Apparently, now, you can downgrade back to 1.0.2 which is good for you guys because as I said before, I really don't care either way if a phone is modded or unlocked. Whatever makes you happy!

However, someone else in this forum pointed out that Apple stressed "September 2007" update. Is this going to be a monthly thing? Bi Monthly thing? We won't know. But, what happens when truly functional updates come out from Apple and you're torn between the update and keeping your mods?

This is just a thought. I mean something big is bound to come out of one of these updates...even though a lot of you are skeptical of this statement. But, Apple has to do something to keep people from going back to BB or palm etc.

FW
There will always be people who will hang on to their apps. I heard someone was able to revert to Firmware 1.0.2 and reinstall 3rd party apps.
Personally, I'm done with them. It was fun while it lasted, but none of those apps was really useful to me and my system would slow down to a crawl and crash frequently. At least, now that I've restored to a virgin state, my phone is blazing fast on wifi. No more crashes either. I'll wait for updates. I love the phone the way it is now and major updates are bound to come and maybe surprise us. I don't think it will be a monthly thing for upgrades, though. They probably have plenty of programmars working on different things and the outcome is not always known in advance.
It's possible that Apple will eventually allow controlled 3rd party apps, but not before they have been tested by them and found safe. It will not happen for quite a while (if it happens), not while they're upgrading and changing big portions ot their code.
One thing I'm sure of: all the updates will be free. Unlike Microsoft, Apple doesn't charge for every little piece of code that they make available.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
One thing I'm sure of: all the updates will be free. Unlike Microsoft, Apple doesn't charge for every little piece of code that they make available.
1) The iPhone updates aren't really free. You're paying ~$350 over two years for them, from the bounty and royalties you paid that Apple claims will be used for the updates.

2) WM phone bug fixes (like Daylight Savings) that come from Microsoft are free. All other updates come from the carrier, and are also usually free.

T3Logic

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
Daytona Beach
No to your answer.

If you really think about it Apple has always been like a 3rd world country in the tech world. Overall they have only had a sub 10% complete market share.

Now they want to attract Windows/Linux users to the Apple world. Windows/Linux users require something that Apple has never been willing to do. Allow end user computing. If they want to grow they are going to have to get over the issues of allowing 3rd party development. Or the iPhone will be the single device that sets Apple back another 5 years.

Do remember there commercials with the two guys. One was Apple, one was microsoft. You can only achieve that if your people are taught that way.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
No to your answer.

If you really think about it Apple has always been like a 3rd world country in the tech world. Overall they have only had a sub 10% complete market share.

Now they want to attract Windows/Linux users to the Apple world. Windows/Linux users require something that Apple has never been willing to do. Allow end user computing. If they want to grow they are going to have to get over the issues of allowing 3rd party development. Or the iPhone will be the single device that sets Apple back another 5 years.

Do remember there commercials with the two guys. One was Apple, one was microsoft. You can only achieve that if your people are taught that way.
It would be incredibly funny if Microsoft starting running a parody of the
"Mac guy and PC guy" ads. I could envision the Mac guy in a straight-jacket trying to explain to the PC guy how every thing is fine... it's really fine! LOL...

--
Mike

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal

FW
i doubt there be another great update for the next while unleast they makign another wifi store or soemthign that benefits them just my opinion. when it does comes out then some 3rd party hacker will probably let us use that new update features from Apple and yet also have his apps. it just a matter of time.

Sep 30, 2007
3rd Party Apps .. a sneaky suspicion ...hmmm?

Hi,

One of the "reasons" that Apple pulled 3rd party apps is to "protect" ATT's network, according to Apple.... correct ? Here's what I think may be a bigger problem...

Everyone knows there is no love for ATT. They are trying to improve their image and all that. But the basic problem has always been their network. They bought cingular to improve and expand that. Apple went with them because their cell frequency / technology can be used world wide and ATT was hungry to get back on top.

As an ex Sprint customer living in NYC, a major market, I can tell you ATT is miserable, dropping calls and the EDGE network is overloaded and slow. Which brings me to my suspicion...

I think ATT freaked out over the possibility of 1 million + users suddenly having network intense applications running and banging the hell out of the EDGE data bandwidth, and slowing down the network even more.

I also think one of the BIG selling points that Apple used toward ATT is that the iPhone automatically switches over to WiFi, thus freeing up the ATT's EDGE data network for the next customer to use. The possibility of a million customers suddenly using data intense apps away from WiFi and on EDGE, could easily become a nightmare. I don't think ATT can handle it yet [at least on EDGE]

There's also the problem that a lot of cool apps [ and I installed a ton of them ] were unstable. I crashed a lot, but would gladly live with crashes to have faux GPS capabilities and "live" chat - IM capabilities. But the real questions would the general public with unstability?

Steve Jobs is a rebel at heart and loves to give away software with his hardware. I know he thought all those 3rd part apps were "cool", and I can see him smirking while playing with them. As we well know it's a "cat and mouse" game with hackers and Apple. 90% of other phones are NOT hackable. Apple isn't stupid and could have easily "closed" the iPhone to the outside world.

I'm sure in a few weeks there will be a 3rd party app 'work-around', there always is. Maybe Apple can restrict 3 party apps to WiFI only or at least have a iPhone 3rd party department at Apple that would "approve" outside apps, with the disclaimer that non approved apps will not be supported and used at your own risk, etc..

Apple can't stop the 3rd party situation, it's already turning into a nightmare, and this will grow and become "rumors" to the general public, that the iPhone is locked down or some how "disabled" from Apple. Jobs opened pandora's box here. He created a blur between a phone an a pocket computer. Apple either needs to open the phone back up [under their terms of course] or quickly release a "mobile mac mini" in an iPhone shell.

Apple may be restricted by it's deal with ATT with clauses that we will never know, but the public just got a big taste of the future and they are knocking at the door...

My 3 cents worth...
Happy iphone-ing !

FW

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hi,

One of the "reasons" that Apple pulled 3rd party apps is to "protect" ATT's network, according to Apple.... correct ? Here's what I think may be a bigger problem...

Everyone knows there is no love for ATT. They are trying to improve their image and all that. But the basic problem has always been their network. They bought cingular to improve and expand that. Apple went with them because their cell frequency / technology can be used world wide and ATT was hungry to get back on top.

As an ex Sprint customer living in NYC, a major market, I can tell you ATT is miserable, dropping calls and the EDGE network is overloaded and slow. Which brings me to my suspicion...

I think ATT freaked out over the possibility of 1 million + users suddenly having network intense applications running and banging the hell out of the EDGE data bandwidth, and slowing down the network even more.

I also think one of the BIG selling points that Apple used toward ATT is that the iPhone automatically switches over to WiFi, thus freeing up the ATT's EDGE data network for the next customer to use. The possibility of a million customers suddenly using data intense apps away from WiFi and on EDGE, could easily become a nightmare. I don't think ATT can handle it yet [at least on EDGE]

There's also the problem that a lot of cool apps [ and I installed a ton of them ] were unstable. I crashed a lot, but would gladly live with crashes to have faux GPS capabilities and "live" chat - IM capabilities. But the real questions would the general public with unstability?

Steve Jobs is a rebel at heart and loves to give away software with his hardware. I know he thought all those 3rd part apps were "cool", and I can see him smirking while playing with them. As we well know it's a "cat and mouse" game with hackers and Apple. 90% of other phones are NOT hackable. Apple isn't stupid and could have easily "closed" the iPhone to the outside world.

I'm sure in a few weeks there will be a 3rd party app 'work-around', there always is. Maybe Apple can restrict 3 party apps to WiFI only or at least have a iPhone 3rd party department at Apple that would "approve" outside apps, with the disclaimer that non approved apps will not be supported and used at your own risk, etc..

Apple can't stop the 3rd party situation, it's already turning into a nightmare, and this will grow and become "rumors" to the general public, that the iPhone is locked down or some how "disabled" from Apple. Jobs opened pandora's box here. He created a blur between a phone an a pocket computer. Apple either needs to open the phone back up [under their terms of course] or quickly release a "mobile mac mini" in an iPhone shell.

Apple may be restricted by it's deal with ATT with clauses that we will never know, but the public just got a big taste of the future and they are knocking at the door...

My 3 cents worth...
Happy iphone-ing !
AT&T has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Want proof? Look at the iPod Touch. It's locked down just like 1.1.1--and it doesn't even have a phone. Jobs comment about AT&T was pure FUD, nothing more.

But I do agree you are correct that this is turning into a nightmare. Despite the comments here, if the general perception about the iPhone starts to become that it is disabled or neutered there will be a backlash. Even people who would never in a million years mod their phone don't like buying something labeled "crippled."

--
Mike

B

bschizz

AT&T has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Want proof? Look at the iPod Touch. It's locked down just like 1.1.1--and it doesn't even have a phone. Jobs comment about AT&T was pure FUD, nothing more.
Good observation. Jobs apparently wants consumers completely dependant on Apple. I could understand keeping the iPod limited; that's how it's always been. But Jobs needs to get it through his head that there's some adjustments to be made when entering the cell phone market. There's a new set of customers with different expectations. To deal or not to deal, Jobs?

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
It would be incredibly funny if Microsoft starting running a parody of the
"Mac guy and PC guy" ads. I could envision the Mac guy in a straight-jacket trying to explain to the PC guy how every thing is fine... it's really fine! LOL...

--
Mike
BWWAAAAHHHAHAHAHA!

(diet Coke spewing out of my nose...)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Although I've given up on hacking and don't need to downgrade, I would get tired of doing it once a month.