3rd Party Apps on the way from Apple via Sidekick model?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
After reading this doesn't sound too bad. I personally will pay for good software as I believe the developers who make good stuff deserve to be compensated.

As crazy as it sounds I would pay good $$ for someone to make SOMETHING/ANYTHING on the screen blink to let me know I have a message or a call without me having to turn it on to check all the time.

BTW, is it just me or is it not possible to adjust the volume of the text message indicator. I have my volume turned down but that TING is loud and the guy next to me says he keeps thinking it is time to feed his cat.

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Wow. Let's hope this is true. It would be the answer to all of our prayers.

As long as the cost is reasonable, I would gladly pay for third-party applications, just as I do now for software like CandyBar and AppZapper on my Mac.

Just last night, I paid $4.99 to put Ms. Pac Mac on my iPod via iTunes. It took all of five minutes and now I can enjoy playing a game that I love anytime I like, for a VERY reasonable price.

How hard is this, really? What's the big deal?

1. Someone writes a great piece of software for the iPhone and submits it to Apple for testing.

2. Apple tests it to determine that it won't screw anything up.

3. Apple negotiates a price with the developer that will allow both the developer and Apple to earn some coin.

4. It then goes up on the iTunes Store.

5. Then, just like searching for a new widget on Apple's website, we find what we want via iTunes, pay $10, $15, $20, or whatever to buy the program, download it and install it on the phone via a sync with iTunes.

No more hacking. No more jailbreaking. No more bricked $600.00 phones.

We're happy. The developer is happy. Apple is happy.

Comon Apple, get with the program. This isn't rocket science.

Rumpelgeist

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I also hope that something like this, or some steps towards 3rd party apps, are on the way. And I'd also be more than happy to pay for good apps if Apple wants to go with certifying them / controlling them in some way.

My only other hope is that they don't set the financial bar too high for individuals / smaller developers. Let the quality control and testing be as stringent as they like, but don't make it where you have to be a giant like EA in order to get your app into the marketplace ...

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I also hope that something like this, or some steps towards 3rd party apps, are on the way. And I'd also be more than happy to pay for good apps if Apple wants to go with certifying them / controlling them in some way.

My only other hope is that they don't set the financial bar too high for individuals / smaller developers. Let the quality control and testing be as stringent as they like, but don't make it where you have to be a giant like EA in order to get your app into the marketplace ...
Good point.

Rumpelgeist

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
What worries me, is that there is only one app that I really use and want that would be third party and that is an ebook reader. Now with that being said, if I can get it for a nominal fee via iTunes what worries me is Apple going to start having to sell books then? I have tones of txt files that I read, and the books app works great! I would like to not have to hack, but if I am going to have to shell out even more to Apple to buy books I already have, then that just seems silly!

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007

I agree also. Another thing to note is that I am sure some sort of 3rd party solution is coming; it's only been 3-4 months since this device came out. Nobody can expect Apple or any company to get everything ready in time for launch. It will come - I believe.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I agree also. Another thing to note is that I am sure some sort of 3rd party solution is coming; it's only been 3-4 months since this device came out. Nobody can expect Apple or any company to get everything ready in time for launch. It will come - I believe.
I agree - feel like something will definitely happen on 3rd party apps, and this sort of model seems most likely, with lots of control still maintained by Apple ...

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I agree - feel like something will definitely happen on 3rd party apps, and this sort of model seems most likely, with lots of control still maintained by Apple ...
I didn't mind when I had a Sidekick, I will not mind now. I am just hoping for more productive and useful apps, unlike the Sidekick's catalog. Everything on there was geared towards kids.

Kipper

Bronze
Not sure how I feel about this yet. I'm very happy now with all the apps. Sure some may be buggy but there are updates to fix them within time. I guess we'll just have to wait and c what happens. If it's a nominal charge for apps I guess that wouldn't be too bad.