3rd Party Apps Working on 1.1.1!

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Erica over at TUAW reports of some success with running some 3rd party apps. Another step closer to full jailbreaking....

Last edited by a moderator:

tonyj81

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
VA Beach
Yes, there is some progress but everyone should definitely wait. I'd imagine in 3 or 4 days they should have it fully operational.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
As the posts are indicating, I think it's way to early to start attempting to upgrade to 1.1.1. Lot's of details and problems to work out yet. They will inform us via more posts when it's good to go.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i'm skeptical as to how this update/hack cycle will pan out. I have a feeling it's a simple thing for Apple to change an encryption, but if it takes weeks for the dev team to break through after each update, i fear they will look for more worth-while things to work on.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
does everyone hear the latest rumor saying that Apple intends to remove all 3rd party applications for good on 1.1.1 iPhone firmware?

if you don't read this
http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/04/Apples-3rd-party-iphone-application-plan/
http://9to5mac.com/apple-adopts-sidekick-application-distribution-model-234545623

:mad::mad::mad:

damn ya Apple.. why u have to be so mean ?
These links don't lead to that at all. "...apple has been furiously working with their partners on games and applications for the iPhone/iPod and the standardized Human-Interface Controls that will go along with them..."

And also "...9to5mac suggests that Apple has already lined up specific development partners for 3rd party applications on the iPhone. EA is reportedly porting their existing iPod games over to the iPhone, with "other big developers" also on board..."

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
does everyone hear the latest rumor saying that Apple intends to remove all 3rd party applications for good on 1.1.1 iPhone firmware?

if you don't read this
http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/04/Apples-3rd-party-iphone-application-plan/
http://9to5mac.com/apple-adopts-sidekick-application-distribution-model-234545623

:mad::mad::mad:

damn ya Apple.. why u have to be so mean ?
well, it's pretty obvious that was their intent. the question is, will they keep doing this on every subsequent update?

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
well, it's pretty obvious that was their intent. the question is, will they keep doing this on every subsequent update?
i don't know how long they keep doing this. i guess Apple still wants to play cat and mouse :laugh2::laugh2:

today just heard the news 1.1.1 jail broken and tomorrow Apple patch it up again with the new firmware update. i'm starting to assume that Apple choose to patch the current firmware rather than get sue by AT&T for breaching the agreement that they was made.:cool:

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
i don't know how long they keep doing this. i guess Apple still wants to play cat and mouse :laugh2::laugh2:

today just heard the news 1.1.1 jail broken and tomorrow Apple patch it up again with the new firmware update. i'm starting to assume that Apple choose to patch the current firmware rather than get sue by AT&T for breaching the agreement that they was made.:cool:
where'd you read that a patch was coming tomorrow? and why would anyone update unless it added something useful?

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Based on the history of PSP hackers vs. Sony, it appears as if this cat and mouse game between Apple and the dev team, though still in its infancy, is poised to mirror its path. Given the ever growing availability of free 3rd party apps within the first 3 months, users are utilizing and enjoying much more from the iPhone than what was expected originally out of the box.

I, for one, was overwhelmed and pleasantly surprised as to what additional functionalities this iPhone can offer and am excited to see its full potential in upcoming releases over the course of the year. Of course, I would prefer a laissez faire attitude from Apple but recent indications suggests otherwise.

There will always be debate over the legal issues on one hand and consumer rights on the other. I would just love it if Apple continues to not only produce the best gadgets out there but to also allow its loyal customers to enjoy its full potential or even the iPod Touch's potential for that matter. Seems that Niacin (of PSP fame) have just achieved root access on the iPod Touch itself.

So the cat and mouse have resumed their game....

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Based on the history of PSP hackers vs. Sony, it appears as if this cat and mouse game between Apple and the dev team, though still in its infancy, is poised to mirror its path. Given the ever growing availability of free 3rd party apps within the first 3 months, users are utilizing and enjoying much more from the iPhone than what was expected originally out of the box.

I, for one, was overwhelmed and pleasantly surprised as to what additional functionalities this iPhone can offer and am excited to see its full potential in upcoming releases over the course of the year. Of course, I would prefer a laissez faire attitude from Apple but recent indications suggests otherwise.

There will always be debate over the legal issues on one hand and consumer rights on the other. I would just love it if Apple continues to not only produce the best gadgets out there but to also allow its loyal customers to enjoy its full potential.
Couldn't agree with you more.

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007

There will always be debate over the legal issues on one hand and consumer rights on the other. I would just love it if Apple continues to not only produce the best gadgets out there but to also allow its loyal customers to enjoy its full potential or even the iPod Touch's potential for that matter. Seems that Niacin (of PSP fame) have just achieved root access on the iPod Touch itself.

So the cat and mouse have resumed their game....
you're so true :laugh2::laugh2:

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Another important progress from the Dev Team! iPhone Multipage Springboard hack is now available, complete with a Springboard patch courtesy of NerveGas and Pumpkin! Exciting times for 1.1.1 lucky firmware owners! For more reading, look here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Maybe, but I doubt it will be anything as drastic as the 1.0.2-to-1.1.1 update. For all intents and purposes you could look at 1.0.2 and earlier as beta.

It's unlikely further updates--at least for the near future--will be as substantial as 1.1.1.

Moreover, once the ball gets rolling with 1.1.1 I wouldn't be surprised if there are other ways found to get in, besides the tiff exploit. Even with just tiff, as long as people still have 1.0.2 and 1.1.1 firmware files hanging around there is little Apple can do (without a lot of effort).

Even if 1.1.2 (or whatever) breaks jailbreak again (long-term; 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 took very little time to adapt) it is still a better platform than 1.1.1--and look how many were willing to forego 1.1.1.

With the PSP folks coming aboard the iPhone scene I don't think Apple has a chance to lock out the iphone--not without committing unreasonable resources to do it.

--
Mike

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
And yet another update! Seems NerveGas has been working hard! The iPhone BSD package has been updated as well as SSH! This is a clear indication that the iPhone Jailbreak is right around the corner. Props to the dev team once more!