3rd party Earphones with Mic?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ryukyu

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
Does anybody know of a 3rd party manufacturer that's making alternatives to the stock earbuds?
I would love to have some in canal earphones with a mic built in like the stock ones.
I saw that Shure has a piece coming out in August that plugs into the iPhone, has a mic and you can then plug any headphones into them, but I don't know of any available now.

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
The shure buds came out at launch, did get a pair (stupid me) but will have some first thing Monday morning. original buds no for me been using shure for a few years now.

Ryukyu

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
The shure buds came out at launch, did get a pair (stupid me) but will have some first thing Monday morning. original buds no for me been using shure for a few years now.
Can you give me a link?
Can't seem to find anything except the Shure iPhone adapter. Not due out until August though.

Ryukyu

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
The stock earbuds suck!
They sound alright, but will not stay in my ears if I move much at all. They're driving me nuts.
I can't believe some company didn't have an alternative solution ready at launch.

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I just picked up a pair of V-Moda Vibe Duo's from the local Apple Store. Cost $100. They are same as the original Vibes but have an integrated mic. I feel the black color is better also. Sound quality is excellent. These headphones sit inside the ear canal, so you need to be aware of that if you haven't used canal phones before.

Called my wife on them and she couldn't tell the difference whether I was speaking through the phone or the headphone mic.

So far I'm very impressed. You can find more information here:
http://www.v-moda.com/collection/modaphones/vibe%20duo.aspx

here are a couple of reviews of the regular Vibes (non integrated mic). the sound quality will be the same:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable...buds-hands+on-verdict-audibly-sexy-217996.php

http://gear.ign.com/articles/746/746987p1.html

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2504667

Ryukyu

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
I just picked up a pair of V-Moda Vibe Duo's from the local Apple Store. Cost $100. They are same as the original Vibes but have an integrated mic. Sound quality is excellent. These headphones sit inside the ear canal, so you need to be aware of that if you haven't used canal phones before.

Called my wife on them and she couldn't tell the difference whether I was speaking through the phone or the headphone mic.

So far I'm very impressed. You can find more information here:
http://www.v-moda.com/collection/modaphones/vibe duo.aspx
Thanks for the information.
I saw in another post somewhere that you can't control your music with the mic switch as on the stock ones. Is that true?
Also, does the music fade out when you get a call and then fade back in when you disconnect?

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Thanks for the information.
I saw in another post somewhere that you can't control your music with the mic switch as on the stock ones. Is that true?
Also, does the music fade out when you get a call and then fade back in when you disconnect?
That is correct. You are NOT able to control your music with the Vibe Duo headphones. It's strictly an integrated mic.

The music fades when a you place or receive a call. Fades back when you the call is completed.

I am really happy with this purchase. Owned a pair of Vibes before. Maybe I'll write a review on the Customer Reviews site. Upload some pictures too.

iPhone-Planet

Bronze
Jun 1, 2007
I have a pair of Sony headphones that only cost $30 at Circuit city which I bought to use with my laptop and they cover the whole ear, but they do not work at all with the iPhone.

Is this because the headphones need to be produced or made to work with the phone?

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I have a pair of Sony headphones that only cost $30 at Circuit city which I bought to use with my laptop and they cover the whole ear, but they do not work at all with the iPhone.

Is this because the headphones need to be produced or made to work with the phone?
The iPhone has a recessed headphone port. You just need to make sure that your headphone plug will fit within that recessed port.

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Just bought the shure's and will be returning them today my iPhone has a problem with the headphone jack, also the with the shures you can't control the song's which would been a big plus for me, so now im using my 640 plantronics which paired easy.

iPhone-Planet

Bronze
Jun 1, 2007
OK, so my Sony's won't work. Does this mean only certain headphones will work?
How do we know which headphones will work and which will not?

Thanks,

Jeff

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
OK, so my Sony's won't work. Does this mean only certain headphones will work?
How do we know which headphones will work and which will not?

Thanks,

Jeff
There is a "Works with iPhone" program that Apple has started similar to the "Works with iPod". Any new headphones that have that logo will be compatible.

As for regular headphones (no integrated mics, etc), you will just need to try them out with the iPhone. Either that or buy the Belkin or Griffin headphone port extender.