3rd Party Support by Apple?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Banzai

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
If you want to send Apple a message about your desire to have the iPhone open to 3rd party developers feel free to do what I did. Show them that the industry is headed that way and if they don't keep up they stand to loose the market share.

Let me show you what I mean. May I introduce Openmoko:
http://www.openmoko.com/

This phone will come unlocked and open to whatever you want to do with it.

Want to add a program? No worries.
Want to pick your own phone service? No worries.
Want to pick your own network connection? No worries.
Want to program your own phone? It's encouraged.

This is your alternative option people. Now... to let Apple know that you know they have 2 options.

1) Keep the stubborn, rigid, uncompromising model they have now and loose businesss to a platform that will let the user take control of it's own hardware that they purchased.

2) Open up the iPhone to be what it should. A computer that we have bought to do what we want that just happens to have a phone tied to it.

To that end, here is how you can communicate with Apple to turn the heat up.

Copy this URL: http://www.openmoko.com/

Then go to this site (the Apple product feedback for the iPhone):
http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html

In the Subject line call it "Free my phone" or something like it.

For feedback type select "Enhancement Request"

Then simply post the URL for openmoko in the body of the text.

Submit.

Done.

Let them know you know your options.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
If you want to send Apple a message about your desire to have the iPhone open to 3rd party developers feel free to do what I did. Show them that the industry is headed that way and if they don't keep up they stand to loose the market share.

Let me show you what I mean. May I introduce Openmoko:
http://www.openmoko.com/

This phone will come unlocked and open to whatever you want to do with it.

Want to add a program? No worries.
Want to pick your own phone service? No worries.
Want to pick your own network connection? No worries.
Want to program your own phone? It's encouraged.

This is your alternative option people. Now... to let Apple know that you know they have 2 options.

1) Keep the stubborn, rigid, uncompromising model they have now and loose businesss to a platform that will let the user take control of it's own hardware that they purchased.

2) Open up the iPhone to be what it should. A computer that we have bought to do what we want that just happens to have a phone tied to it.

To that end, here is how you can communicate with Apple to turn the heat up.

Copy this URL: http://www.openmoko.com/

Then go to this site (the Apple product feedback for the iPhone):
http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html

In the Subject line call it "Free my phone" or something like it.

For feedback type select "Enhancement Request"

Then simply post the URL for openmoko in the body of the text.

Submit.

Done.

Let them know you know your options.
That's funny, in tagalog (filipino langauge) moko means me. So the way I read openmoko is openme. :laugh2:

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
the only thing people on this forum fail to realize is that we are a small fraction of iPhone users. 90% of owners don't know what 3rd party apps are and don't care to hack their phones to add ringtones and other stuff. Most people would pay $4 for a ringtone from AT&T, and they probably think the $1.98 ringtones from Apple are a God send.

Threatening to defect to this linux thing are great, but Apple probably wont care what you or any of us do. Frankly, if i were them, i wouldn't either. they'll get their customers anyway. Millions of people want an iPhone and will be getting one eventually. they don't care to hack or unlock it.

i do think we'll see 3rd party support from Apple soon. Jobs sent an email to someone on macrumors, and he's also said at the UK presser that Apple is looking endorsing them but they want a secure way to add them. I'm sure they don't endorse apptap's method. But i do think that, in due time, they'll offer an SDK .. probably after leopard's release.

all these threats we are making are nice, but it simply doesn't represent a huge percentage of users.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
the only thing people on this forum fail to realize is that we are a small fraction of iPhone users. 90% of owners don't know what 3rd party apps are and don't care to hack their phones to add ringtones and other stuff. Most people would pay $4 for a ringtone from AT&T, and they probably think the $1.98 ringtones from Apple are a God send.
Where did you get this info?

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Where did you get this info?
i pulled it out of my ass .. but there were about 8,000 downloads of apolloIM when it was released according to the developer. if there are, say, 1.2 million iPhone users now, that would be actually way less than 1% ..

and apollo is probably one of the more popular ones. it's silly to assume there are more than 10% of users who hacked their phone. 10% is actually a very liberal estimate by me.

we'd need 120,000 people to make that 10% mark .. and i'd bet you anything i had that we don't have 120,000 people out there with hacked phones.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
How do you know that?
i'm not going to play games with you. i just said i didn't know that for sure, but i'd BET we don't.

just look at the average consumer. they arent going to a) be reading sites like this and b) risk hacking their phone to add apps to it.

and, i cited download numbers for you of one of the more popular 3rd party apps and how low it was. it's entirely up to you in what you want to believe. if you want to tell yourself that we have 120,000+ people out there that hack their phone, then more power to you. but it simply isn't the case. most people could care less.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
i pulled it out of my ass .. but there were about 8,000 downloads of apolloIM when it was released according to the developer. if there are, say, 1.2 million iPhone users now, that would be actually way less than 1% ..

and apollo is probably one of the more popular ones. it's silly to assume there are more than 10% of users who hacked their phone. 10% is actually a very liberal estimate by me.

we'd need 120,000 people to make that 10% mark .. and i'd bet you anything i had that we don't have 120,000 people out there with hacked phones.
I would take that bet in a heartbeat!

Over 70,000 people downloaded Navizon GPS before 1.1.1 was released. I can easily see the number of people who installed third party apps being double that figure.

Moreover, people using a one-button app such as AppTapp probably don't consider it hacking, in any traditional sense of the term.

--
Mike

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
I've installed the Installer to a few friends of mine that could care less about modding but have appreciated the 3rd party apps the Installer provides. AFAIK, they hadn't downloaded ApolloIM or the Navizon GPS. So I guess some iPhone owners that use 3rd party apps are under the radar.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
i do think we'll see 3rd party support from Apple soon. Jobs sent an email to someone on macrumors, and he's also said at the UK presser that Apple is looking endorsing them but they want a secure way to add them. I'm sure they don't endorse apptap's method. But i do think that, in due time, they'll offer an SDK .. probably after leopard's release.
"Apple is looking (at) endorsing them but they want a secure way to add them" <--Translation: "When we (Apple) can figure out a way to make more money by charging for these apps". :p

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
"Apple is looking (at) endorsing them but they want a secure way to add them" <--Translation: "When we (Apple) can figure out a way to make more money by charging for these apps". :p
that's true .. they could be .. i can see them setting up a store that allows you to buy apps .. but i don't see that flying very well at all.

i do think we'll see them eventually. i really do .. it may seem impossible now, but Apple didn't come out and say no to 3rd party apps entirely. the software may have broken it, but it may jhave been more of keeping it locked, something they do care about, rather than cutting out third party apps.

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
that's true .. they could be .. i can see them setting up a store that allows you to buy apps .. but i don't see that flying very well at all.

i do think we'll see them eventually. i really do .. it may seem impossible now, but Apple didn't come out and say no to 3rd party apps entirely. the software may have broken it, but it may jhave been more of keeping it locked, something they do care about, rather than cutting out third party apps.
hahaha
don't try to kid yourself.

Apple is going to start selling third party apps via iTunes. That is how they make most of their money.

Just look at what they did with ringtones.

That openmoko phone looks sweet. The hardware isn't as nice as the iPhone obviously but I LOVE the philosophy behind it.

Apple won't listen though. They know that even if people ***** they are still going to sell a lot of iPhones and make even more money selling third party apps via iTunes.

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY

don't you think that because Apple basically threatened people it may have prevented a ton of people from hacking? The people who have the phone that know nothing about computers but want the programs obviously can't do it themselves....I think that if Apple said, hey go ahead and do what you want 50-60% of the users will mess with it, the other 40 will pay someone else to mess with it!

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
hahaha
don't try to kid yourself.

Apple is going to start selling third party apps via iTunes. That is how they make most of their money.

Just look at what they did with ringtones.

That openmoko phone looks sweet. The hardware isn't as nice as the iPhone obviously but I LOVE the philosophy behind it.

Apple won't listen though. They know that even if people ***** they are still going to sell a lot of iPhones and make even more money selling third party apps via iTunes.
i highly doubt that. ringtones are totally different than apps. they had to charge for ringtones because the music companies required it. Apple cant just do as they please. now i think not allowing us to make our own is ridicules, but charging for them is not that bad at all considering others are $4 from att and verizon.

charging for them in iTunes would create even more of an outrage, as then people in the mainstream will notice and see how silly it would be to charge to get MMS, ichat, or anything else. i do not think that will happen.

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
i highly doubt that. ringtones are totally different than apps. they had to charge for ringtones because the music companies required it. Apple cant just do as they please. now i think not allowing us to make our own is ridicules, but charging for them is not that bad at all considering others are $4 from att and verizon.

charging for them in iTunes would create even more of an outrage, as then people in the mainstream will notice and see how silly it would be to charge to get MMS, ichat, or anything else. i do not think that will happen.
People in the mainstream will go "oh look! In addition to my episode of heroes and my songs I just bought I can also buy an application to do such and such" and they will do it.

Don't kid yourself.

Apple will set up a way for developers to get their applications onto iTunes and Apple will take a cut of the profits. Making it so you can only install them by buying them from iTunes ensures them a cut of the money.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
People in the mainstream will go "oh look! In addition to my episode of heroes and my songs I just bought I can also buy an application to do such and such" and they will do it.

Don't kid yourself.

Apple will set up a way for developers to get their applications onto iTunes and Apple will take a cut of the profits. Making it so you can only install them by buying them from iTunes ensures them a cut of the money.
that businesss plan would never work. users selling their software to Apple so they will be allowed to publish them? no one would bother doing it.

i know you are angry about Apple being all about the money, but that notion is just ridicules. clear you mind, first and really think about what you are saying. no developer would waste their time with that, and Apple knows that.

glen

Oct 1, 2007
Interest in OpenMoko

I too have had interest in the OpenMoko phone for almost a year now. It is a great idea but its progression is moving quite slow. They need to pick up the pace a bit and as others have stated the hardware is a bit lacking in the MHz department. I also ask who will allow you to use this phone on their network? I'm sure most providers will try to persuade you to "buy" one of their phones.

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
that businesss plan would never work. users selling their software to Apple so they will be allowed to publish them? no one would bother doing it.

i know you are angry about Apple being all about the money, but that notion is just ridicules. clear you mind, first and really think about what you are saying. no developer would waste their time with that, and Apple knows that.
Why wouldn't developers do that? It's either that or Apple continues to squash third party apps. There are a lot of bigger software companies out there that would easily develop apps and sell them through iTunes. We aren't just talking about little guys.

I'll just have to say I told you so when it happens.