4.3.1 redsnow jailbreak, battery draining twice as fast

vrsc

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Orlando, Fl
I updated from 4.2 jailbrake right to 4.3.1 and my battery is draining crazy fast. Anyone else have this problem? I have made sure to delete my background apps but still having the same problem. I just downloaded backgrounder and set all apps to stop running when minimized so I'll see how that helps but wanted to get other thoughts and opinions!
Thanks

Edge1978

Bronze
Feb 7, 2009
I remember reading somewhere that disabling "ping" would help the battery issue, it doesn't solve it. but it does help. It seemed to with mine anyway.

Settings>>General>>Restrictions>> Ping

offroadhunter

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
New York
I can't prove this theory (with a reasonable amount of effort) but i'm convinced the iPhone has times where the battery runs off so fast and other times it seems to last forever.. I know it's not a psychological thing but there are times where I'm impressed how long the battery lasts despite the abuse and others where I have to charge it 3 times daily. That's just my observation

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I had to restore my phone this morning, I got that fed up with having a bad battery. I restored twice as new, so far everything has been fine. I've used my phone all day and my battery is just the way it was when I had 4.2.1 installed.

vrsc

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Orlando, Fl
well, I restored my iPhone as new this last update amd jailbreak so I'll wait and try everything else I can before restorig it again. It as pain having to re arrange all apps and such. I have turned ping off so I'll see how that plays out.

one_crazy_dude

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Toms River New Jersey
Also look in settings and mail. If push is on turn it off if you don't use it. Push I have noticed used a lot of battery. I was at 4.3.1 but noticed my battery running down faster than normal and noticed my phone sputters (if this is even a word) when opening and closing apps. I am back on 4.1 where to me has been the best iOS for my phone

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I remember reading somewhere that disabling "ping" would help the battery issue, it doesn't solve it. but it does help. It seemed to with mine anyway.

Settings>>General>>Restrictions>> Ping
I cannot understand how this would possibly help since you would have to be in the iTunes app in order for it to be active.
Plus, turning off PING in Restrictions just turns off the ability to access it. It doesn't turn off the application itself (which again, is only on when iTunes app is open)

General battery problems come from things like radios, screen display brightness, and over-all processing power and ram used.
Easy way to test is to turn everything off, and then start turning everything on 1 at a time. Turn on Wifi- TEST. Significant battery drain? no, Turn on Bluetooth (with no connected device). Significant battery drain? No, Turn on Notifications...etc.
That will help narrow down what is causing the problem.
I also suggest getting an app that shows system processes. It will help in determining if an app is hung, draining your resources.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, i use an app called Free Memory, but I am not sure if it's still available. I do know that there are a couple (probably a couple DOZEN) out there that you can check. Look at the free ones and read the reviews. ignore the ones that sound like someone attempting to blow lots of sunshine up everyone's butt, and stick to the ones that sound sincere- even if it's bad.
And more importantly, you want something that shows you what apps are running.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I use iStat. It's quite good, you can also link it to your Mac as well.

This is the list of processes you'd expect to see:

vrsc

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Orlando, Fl
Thanks, I downloaded SYSTEM processes. It does the trick but when I see what else is running, I can't really tell what they are just by the names given by the app

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I had to restore my phone this morning, I got that fed up with having a bad battery. I restored twice as new, so far everything has been fine. I've used my phone all day and my battery is just the way it was when I had 4.2.1 installed.
So, by restoring as new, you had to manually add the Apple apps, right? And, did you use PkgBackup to restore your Cydia apps?

My battery has been draining a lot faster since I jailbroke, but I also am contantly installing tweaks, themes, etc. At the end of my pre-JB days. I was probably at 30-50% charge, but now I'm usually under 20%.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
So, by restoring as new, you had to manually add the Apple apps, right? And, did you use PkgBackup to restore your Cydia apps?

My battery has been draining a lot faster since I jailbroke, but I also am contantly installing tweaks, themes, etc. At the end of my pre-JB days. I was probably at 30-50% charge, but now I'm usually under 20%.
Yes, I had to start again. Add all my info back on to the phone i.e Songs, Pictures, Applications, Ringtones etc. Putting all the applications into the right folders is a pain, but my battery has been much better since.

I used PkgBackup to restore all my packages, but not any of my repo's. You can deselect repo backups within PkgBackup. I manually entered my repo's then restored via PkgBackup. I use the DropBox feature, it's so easy to use, plus you can let other people use your back up, that's if they want the same content.

I constantly install tweaks, I think I might have a form of Cydia/iPhone obsessive compulsive order. Your battery will drain quicker if you have widgets/tweaks, as they update at different intervals, thus using more juice.

If you're thinking of starting fresh, SSH into your phone and copy the themes folder, that way you can paste the folder back in when you've re-jailbroken. Makes your life much easier.