$4,800 phone bill from a turned off iPhone out of the country

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Rule #1: When leaving the US, take out your SIM card.
Rule #2: See Rule #1.

I agree, ouch!

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
Not suprising. If you don't monitor your setting, I can easily see how something like this can happen. Honestly, I don't see what recourse they have. I can't imagine getting a $5k phone bill! All I know is that if I ever go to Europe I'm probably not even going to bring my phone. Or the sim card is going to be taken out.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Whoo. Hope this doesn't happen when I take it to the beach next summer.

jakkyl

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
1) I bet anything they had it in Standby Mode, not actually turned off. Sadly enough a lot of people do not understand the difference.

2) Why didn't they just set it into Airplane Mode if they were overseas? I'm assuming they only took it to listen to the iPod function so turn Airplane Mode on thus turning off all radios. Saves battery life as well as makes sure stuff like this does NOT happen.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
i couldn't tell...did it say how long they were out there?

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
1) I bet anything they had it in Standby Mode, not actually turned off. Sadly enough a lot of people do not understand the difference.

2) Why didn't they just set it into Airplane Mode if they were overseas? I'm assuming they only took it to listen to the iPod function so turn Airplane Mode on thus turning off all radios. Saves battery life as well as makes sure stuff like this does NOT happen.
I agree this is probably what happened. Also remember that this was 3 iPhones and not one.

i didn't mean to scare anyone....it was just a crazy story haha. Be cautious anyway.

stewsan

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Lock the sim card and the iPhone will be able to use wifi and other features with the exception of Edge and of course the phone. Then, if needed, just tap in the unlock code and the phone and Edge is available.... This has solved my problem when overseas and also protects the sim in case the phone is lost or stolen.

Aug 28, 2007
that happened to my dad, but only a hundred dollars more. he still got extremely pissed off at At&t for not telling about it, he called them up, screamed at them, cursed them out, and i think at one point he threatened to kill the guy LMAO i felt so bad for the guy..., well end of story, i got 3 months of At&t service, absolutely free.....

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
I can't wait to do something stupid and blame it on someone else.. maybe I'll do a lawsuit like all the other morons...

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I can see how those who are new to data-enabled phones and/or international roaming can run into this problem. I was out of the country for 6 weeks but I knew enough made sure to take my SIM card out and only use WiFi.

The article has a mis-statement:

Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris points out in its terms and conditions that it will cost an arm an a leg to use an iPhone out of the US even if no services are intentionally used.

This is inaccurate. It may cost an arm and a leg, depending on the settings, even if no services are intentionally used.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
...,and if you think you're phone is really off, when you have it turned off. You're crazy. The phones even when powered off are still awake.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I would think that putting the phone into 'airplane mode' and leaving it there would ensure that there was no chance of it trying to communicate with the outside world. Sounds like that would take care of the issue.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I would think that putting the phone into 'airplane mode' and leaving it there would ensure that there was no chance of it trying to communicate with the outside world. Sounds like that would take care of the issue.
To my knowledge airplane mode only disables the phone portion. Wifi, and some other functions would continue, like auto clock updates and other goodies.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
To my knowledge airplane mode only disables the phone portion. Wifi, and some other functions would continue, like auto clock updates and other goodies.
my assumption is that the airplane mode would disable any form of transmission of signal from the phone which could interfere with the airplanes operation. That would seem to disable edge wifi etc. Could be wrong of course.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Airplane mode definitely disables all wireless transmissions from your phone, including WiFi.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Airplane mode definitely disables all wireless transmissions from your phone, including WiFi.
I'll experiment with that and report back. Not that I don't believe you guys. But I know when my Razor phone was off, or on Airplane Mode. It was still working. The only way to truly shutdown a new generation cellphone is to remove the battery.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
no doubt you are right about the phone never being truly off. But the question I would have is can u incur charges if the phone is unable to communicate with the outside world? I wouldn't think the towers would even know u are there.