$4,800 phone bill from a turned off iPhone out of the country

lensey543

Jul 12, 2007
L. Y. Dubb
damn AT&T

yup, my bill yesterday was $1028.74. Turns out they charged me $952 of data usage charges. I called them up n they adjusted it :p

gts

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
So would wifi be free? Or did they charge for that as data charges? If so taking the sim out and only going with wifi in hotspots should be a way to not have charges run up?

Fant

Sep 9, 2007
AT&T really needs to add a data setting the the phone to enable/disable edge data. That way people can turn off the data feature and still use their phones as ipods and for emergency phone calls. Would disabling the email auto-update solve this problem? Or are their other automatic functions that automatically engage EDGE without the user knowing?

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
The worst offender is visual voicemail. It uses EDGE data.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I'll experiment with that and report back. Not that I don't believe you guys. But I know when my Razor phone was off, or on Airplane Mode. It was still working. The only way to truly shutdown a new generation cellphone is to remove the battery.
Easy to test. Put the phone in Airplane mode and you'll see WiFi and Bluetooth be set to off. Try to set WiFi or Bluetooth mode on again, it will ask you if you want to turn Airplane off because it can't turn either of them on while in Airplane mode.

I never said Airplane mode means that the phone is off. Only that all communications are off.

theHAGGIS

Sep 10, 2007
heh..Exactly. If the phone could still receive and send info, that would kinda defeat the purpose of airplane mode :)