450 minutes - opinions if you have that plan for iPhone

aaronj2005

Bronze
Aug 11, 2008
do you personally feel the 450 minutes is enough? i just got my phone two days ago, and im probably just stoked on using it, and used 107 minutes in two days. i am wondering if i will be able to pull off the 450 mins a month. any opinions? thanks

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
do you personally feel the 450 minutes is enough? i just got my phone two days ago, and im probably just stoked on using it, and used 107 minutes in two days. i am wondering if i will be able to pull off the 450 mins a month. any opinions? thanks
For my needs it works out perfect. I hardly ever go over and I constantly have rollover minutes. Then again 6 months ago I broke up with my girlfriend so I don't really talk on the phone all that much. I also only have the iPhone as my primary phone so I'm using it for everything but I've never gone over. I've come close with the 200 texts but thats about it.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Keep in mind that calls made to or received from other ATT phones is actually free.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Keep in mind that calls made to or received from other ATT phones is actually free.
Excellent point! If the people you call most often are also AT&T victims then those calls don't count against your monthly minutes. Also, keep an eye on it and if it looks like you're going to need more then give them a call. You can change your plan anytime. Don't get it until you know you'll need it.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I have the 450 minute plan as well. With the 200 texts. I've gone over the texts, but never the minutes. My whole family is on AT&T and nobody else really calls me...nah, thats not true, but I don't think twice about using my phone and I have minutes left over. It's more than sufficient for me.
This is also my primary phone. I have a house phone, but I don't give the number out to anyone, except family and work.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
My husband and I have an old voice plan that we share 450 minutes in a family plan. We never go over and I have over 2,000 rollover minutes. Most of his family is ATT, so all those calls are free. When my daughter gets a phone on our plan I may have to get more minutes...

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
You are correct, sir!
Just tell her that she can only be friends with AT&T customers and you'll be fine.

For the OP, keep in mind that any padding you do to protect yourself against accidentally going over is just free money in AT&T's pocket. You should be aiming for the plan that will give you just enough minutes. We upped our minutes a year or two ago after adding our second teenager to our family plan and proceeded to accumulate nearly 13,000 rollover minutes because most of our talk time is in-network. I'd rather go over occasionally than just donate an extra $20 to my cell carrier every month.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Once the novelty wears off, you'll most likely use it less for phone calls. ;)

I have the 450 minute plan and it's perfect for me. Like many here, I usually use far fewer minutes than I have, and I have over 2,000 rollover minutes now. I do use text messages a lot and have gone over my allotment before, enough to justify getting the 1500 SMS plan - I think this is an area where it's very easy to go overboard on the iPhone...

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Just tell her that she can only be friends with AT&T customers and you'll be fine.

For the OP, keep in mind that any padding you do to protect yourself against accidentally going over is just free money in AT&T's pocket. You should be aiming for the plan that will give you just enough minutes. We upped our minutes a year or two ago after adding our second teenager to our family plan and proceeded to accumulate nearly 13,000 rollover minutes because most of our talk time is in-network. I'd rather go over occasionally than just donate an extra $20 to my cell carrier every month.
I think if I let her get a phone she would actually agree. She is justing turning 10 and does not have her own phone yet.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
My wife and I share a 550 family plan and it's way more than we need right now, but it was the lowest number of minutes they offer for a family plan. We just don't use our phones as phones that much, mostly because we think cell phone use has gotten WAY out of hand to the point of being annoying.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Used 138 minutes since July 11th. :)

Before I got my recent corporate discount, me and my dad built up more than 4,000 rollover minutes. I'm sure we'll get all of that back. :laugh2:

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I opted for the 450 and have used about 1200 total minutes this contract month.

I talk mostly at night after 9. Also most of my people are on AT&T which is a sweet deal.

What is so great about the plans, is that you can check your minutes online, and they are now updated very quickly. In many cases, just minutes after you make a call, it will appear in your online account call log. This really helps in determining what your call patterns are and what plan you should really be on.

jgibo1

Aug 20, 2008
in nine months have 4092 roll over minutes. Over the years all of my friends but 1 or 2 have switched to att. Thank goodness. I remember in the old days I tried to get people to switch but they wouldn't. I then got rid of my cell phone completely. Then for whatever reasons they eventually switched. Now I have a phone again and just keep piling on those minutes. I am using my phone. Just within att. I love it.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
in nine months have 4092 roll over minutes. Over the years all of my friends but 1 or 2 have switched to att. Thank goodness. I remember in the old days I tried to get people to switch but they wouldn't. I then got rid of my cell phone completely. Then for whatever reasons they eventually switched. Now I have a phone again and just keep piling on those minutes. I am using my phone. Just within att. I love it.
Unfortunately all my friends have Alltel so I'm kinda screwed but I still don't go over or even come close on my minutes.

Oct 11, 2008
Mobile AL
She will be using txt more than anything so just invest in the family unlimited txt plan,, TRUST ME, I have a 15yr old daughter and a 10 year old son, My son only really txt.s me but my daughter!?!?!? that's all they do, They don't believe in actually using voice?!?!?

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I got 550 minutes on a FamilyTalk plan for me and my Dad. We don't use a lot of minutes and we have a couple of thousand rollover minutes. And remember is there is unlimited AT&T mobile to mobile and "unlimited nights & weekends."

Never went above my minutes and never went above 200 texts a month.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I have the 450 minute plan and I use a little more than 1/2 of it. I'm a text whore though I go over the 1500 easily before the month is up. If you have any teenagers just be safe and go with the unlimited testing because they WILL use a ****load.