4G Internet on iPhone 5 will work in certain places

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by hmfc-1874, Jul 24, 2012.

1. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Does the iPad 3 with 4G LTE work in the UK? Same technology that we suspect will be in the iPhone 5.

3. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

No, our networks are in backword times, rubbish IMO in terms of not turning to 4G by now. They are testing it and hope to roll it out by end of 2013?
    See I don't understand all this rubbish about frequencies, why don't UK/Europe get on the same (frequency/ratio) as USA and roll it out for near the same time.
    No disrespect here but people in Europe still have to pay as much as people in the USA for an IPad even though it lacks one important feature (4G), I don't see how that's fair.

Anyways i keep rambling on haha. I just had a good read about 4G in UK in a link below and understand UK networks are taking an age and still testing 4G.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-03/15/new-apple-ipad-3-4g-uk-explained?page=all

4. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

My wife has an iPad 3 and the 4G works (at least it shows 4G) but coverage is terrible at our house just like 3G on the iPhone is. The MicroCell fixed the problem for me on my phone and I'm praying the MicroCell will work for the new iPhone OR is't probably off to Verizon for me. Some people say the MicroCell will work others say it might not. Bottom line -- nobody really know for sure. :confused:

5. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Unfortunately, that's AT&T "faux" G, not LTE. The iPad would display LTE when connected to an LTE network

6. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

This In the UK?

7. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

No, sorry. US.

8. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

So until LTE the MicroCell should work? But isn't the "new" iPhone suppose to be LTE on AT&T's network? So confused. :mad:

9. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

i do believe the ipad3 is true 4glte and does work with att 4g lte. but the current iPhone4s is not true 4g lte even tho there is a 4g marker on the screen. just another one of Apples tricks to make the consumers who don't know better that they think they have 4g lte. will the new iPhone have true 4g lte? who knows for sure, guess we have to wait and see.

10. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Yes, it is terribly confusing. I blame T-mobile for starting this mess, calling their 3G network "4G" to make themselves look good. And I blame AT&T for following suit. Then Apple caved to AT&T's demand to label the network "4G" when they released the 5.1 update. It's actually just an advanced form of 3G (HSPA+). Nothing out there right now, not even LTE yet, qualifies as true 4G by the definition. If you want a long and complicated read about the specifics, check the Wikipedia article on 4G.

Basically, the new iPad supports both HSPA+ and LTE. So, since your iPad is displaying "4G", it's still on HSPA+ right now (the same network as your phone). But it's ready for when LTE comes to your area. If you're in an area where you have to use a MicroCell to get signal, though, you might not want to hold your breath for LTE coverage.

The 4S is only an HSPA+ phone. The next iPhone may or may not have LTE, there's no way to know for certain until Apple reveals it (or somebody leaves it in a bar).

11. Psyrix

Psyrix Member
    Bronze

First off your statement that Apple is trying to trick people that have AT&T iPhone 4S is 100% incorrect. Apple fought AT&T on adding the 4G signal identifier. But they lost out because the LTE licensing body allows anyone that is on 3G HPSA+ to use the 4G trademarked logo as long as they will have LTE online in less than 12 months from the first use of the 4G trademark.

That is why 4G is a useless identifier. BTW, the same exact issue is occurring in Europe.