4G? LTE? What's the difference?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Long Term Evolution (LTE) is a radio platform technology that will allow operators to achieve even higher peak throughputs than HSPA+ in higher spectrum bandwidth. Work on LTE began at 3GPP in 2004, with an official LTE work item started in 2006 and a completed 3GPP Release 8 specification in March 2009. Initial deployments of LTE began in late 2009.
Read all here
http://www.4gamericas.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&sectionid=249
4G” is the term used to refer to the International Mobile Telecommunications-Advanced (IMT-Advanced) technology family of mobile wireless services, which has been defined and ratified by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU).
Read all here
http://www.4gamericas.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&sectionid=250

Now I want LTE Advance

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I could've looked that up. :rolleyes: I was looking for an answer in lay man or woman's terms. I wanted to know why in two different areas of NJ does one have 4G and the other LTE (as noted on my iPhone 5's status bar).

jadmorffier

Bronze
May 19, 2011
I'm in Melbourne, Australia and have only seen my iPhone 5 show 3G and LTE symbols. Never 4G. I thought they were one in the same (LTE and 4G)

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I could've looked that up. :rolleyes: I was looking for an answer in lay man or woman's terms. I wanted to know why in two different areas of NJ does one have 4G and the other LTE (as noted on my iPhone 5's status bar).
Long story short and in layman's terms, AT&T was able to relabel their 3G network as 4G. Think of this as fake 4G. LTE is real 4G. AT&T has limited LTE coverage in comparison to Verizon. You just traveled into an area that has rolled out LTE already.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I guess I'm a little curious, too. Is Verizon's LTE faster than AT&T's, or simply a different type of LTE?
It depends on the area, but AT&T typically has the fastest LTE just as they always had the fastest 3G.

However, if you live in an area (like I do) that has Verizon LTE but not AT&T LTE, you would get faster Internet with Verizon simply because you only have LTE access with one of them. I get about 8-10 Mbps with Verizon LTE here and 1-4 Mbps with AT&T 4G. Before Verizon LTE was here, the 3G speeds were less than 1 Mbps. I'm hoping AT&T LTE speeds will at least be in the 30s or 40s when we get it later this year. Some areas, such as San Francisco and Dallas, get 60+ with AT&T.

SlcPnk

Jan 2, 2013
I just signed with Verizon and on LTE most of the time here in salt lake. Pretty fast, I like it

Sent using iCafe app

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
A town about thirty ish miles from me has LTE (AT&T) I get about35 ish when I am there. But when I go thirty miles north to Seattle I only see 25 ish. All depends on capacity and users on particular towers and servers.

Speaking of does anyone know if speedtest vary with what is running on your phone. Example would I see better test after using process killer than with a bunch running in the background.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
A town about thirty ish miles from me has LTE (AT&T) I get about35 ish when I am there. But when I go thirty miles north to Seattle I only see 25 ish. All depends on capacity and users on particular towers and servers.

Speaking of does anyone know if speedtest vary with what is running on your phone. Example would I see better test after using process killer than with a bunch running in the background.
I think the only thing that would affect it would be if you were downloading or streaming in the background.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Long story short and in layman's terms, AT&T was able to relabel their 3G network as 4G. Think of this as fake 4G. LTE is real 4G. AT&T has limited LTE coverage in comparison to Verizon. You just traveled into an area that has rolled out LTE already.
Thank you! That's the answer I was looking for.