4G? LTE? What's the difference?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by EverythingApple, Jan 3, 2013.

1. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I get 4G at my house, but when I was driving the other day I got LTE. I'm confused. Please help me out.

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Long Term Evolution (LTE) is a radio platform technology that will allow operators to achieve even higher peak throughputs than HSPA+ in higher spectrum bandwidth. Work on LTE began at 3GPP in 2004, with an official LTE work item started in 2006 and a completed 3GPP Release 8 specification in March 2009. Initial deployments of LTE began in late 2009.
    Read all here
    http://www.4gamericas.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&sectionid=249
    4G” is the term used to refer to the International Mobile Telecommunications-Advanced (IMT-Advanced) technology family of mobile wireless services, which has been defined and ratified by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU).
    Read all here
    http://www.4gamericas.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&sectionid=250

Now I want LTE Advance

3. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

4. EverythingApple

Gold

I could've looked that up. :rolleyes: I was looking for an answer in lay man or woman's terms. I wanted to know why in two different areas of NJ does one have 4G and the other LTE (as noted on my iPhone 5's status bar).

5. jadmorffier

jadmorffier Member
    Bronze

I'm in Melbourne, Australia and have only seen my iPhone 5 show 3G and LTE symbols. Never 4G. I thought they were one in the same (LTE and 4G)

Sent using iCafe app

6. EverythingApple

Gold

That's what I thought, but the other day they both showed.

Sent using iCafe app

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Long story short and in layman's terms, AT&T was able to relabel their 3G network as 4G. Think of this as fake 4G. LTE is real 4G. AT&T has limited LTE coverage in comparison to Verizon. You just traveled into an area that has rolled out LTE already.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I guess I'm a little curious, too. Is Verizon's LTE faster than AT&T's, or simply a different type of LTE?

9. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Different I'm sure. Even Verizon's "LTE" will vary. It's just a set mark that any speed above that qualifies to be labeled as 4g or LTE.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It depends on the area, but AT&T typically has the fastest LTE just as they always had the fastest 3G.

However, if you live in an area (like I do) that has Verizon LTE but not AT&T LTE, you would get faster Internet with Verizon simply because you only have LTE access with one of them. I get about 8-10 Mbps with Verizon LTE here and 1-4 Mbps with AT&T 4G. Before Verizon LTE was here, the 3G speeds were less than 1 Mbps. I'm hoping AT&T LTE speeds will at least be in the 30s or 40s when we get it later this year. Some areas, such as San Francisco and Dallas, get 60+ with AT&T.

11. SlcPnk

SlcPnk New Member

I just signed with Verizon and on LTE most of the time here in salt lake. Pretty fast, I like it

Sent using iCafe app

12. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

A town about thirty ish miles from me has LTE (AT&T) I get about35 ish when I am there. But when I go thirty miles north to Seattle I only see 25 ish. All depends on capacity and users on particular towers and servers.

Speaking of does anyone know if speedtest vary with what is running on your phone. Example would I see better test after using process killer than with a bunch running in the background.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think the only thing that would affect it would be if you were downloading or streaming in the background.

14. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Ill have to try it. Hard to gage though because I never get back to back tests that are close enough to each other for me to consider them consistent.

15. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

AT&T had improved the 3G and it was as fast as some 4G so they were allowed to call it 4G
    4G Lte is faster depending where I go I get all kinds of speed readings (yes I kill my Apps first)

16. EverythingApple

Gold

Thank you! That's the answer I was looking for.

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

19. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That was exactly my point. Don't expect US carrier-supported 100mbp LTE speeds anytime soon. The US is third world in comparison to many other countries' cell phone networks.